Cleaning product got in my aquarium!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LeaElizabeth423

Aquarium Advice Regular
I don't know what happened honestly but all my male fish died after moving them into their own aquarium! I cleaned a filter with a rag that was clean and put it on the tank to use as an extra filter with the filter I already had. Then the next day I turn my light on my tank in the morning and see ALL BUT 3 of my male fish died. I moved them into my other tank back with the females trying not to get any of that water in my other tank but some did get in now my fish are acting like they are dying now. I need to stop this. What do I do? I can't find anything on Google. I've lost enough fish from whatever was in that rag and need to know how to make filters, ornaments, water, and everything safe again!

Check you water parameters. Rinse everything very well.

-Weston --Sent Via The Space Time Continuum--

I am doing large water changes on other tank now but if it was in there it was in my filter and everything but I need my filter. I'm so lost. Do I just need to keep doing water changes?

Take everything apart and clean with vinegar solution. Rinse again with tap water. Make sure the substrate is very thoroughly washed. then set it back up.

Caleb

Okay. Do I need to do a 100% water change?

The infected tank, disassemble and clean the ENTIRE thing with TAP water EXCEPT your filter pads and media. ***Put your pads and media in a separate bucket of conditioned tap water so it keeps the bb safe***. Wipe down everything with a vinegar/water solution and let it dry then rinse again with tap water.

Caleb

Good idea on the filter pads to keep the bio filter going... but isn't cleaning solution in there too then? Kinda a lose lose situation.

Might as well get all clean stuff and cycle the tank again with close monitoring?

Good idea on the filter pads to keep the bio filter going... but isn't cleaning solution in there too then? Kinda a lose lose situation.

Might as well get all clean stuff and cycle the tank again with close monitoring?

I said conditioned tap water not tank water ;) put tap water in a bucket add dechlorinator. Viola! BB safe water.

Caleb

I said conditioned tap water not tank water ;) put tap water in a bucket add dechlorinator. Viola! BB safe water.

Caleb

I think the op is concerned with possible detergents in his filter media introduced by the rag.
do you believe the benefits of saving the media out way the possible reintroduction of detergent to a uncycled tank via the contaminated media ?
I'm just asking to clarify , not trying to be a big meanie

I think the op is concerned with possible detergents in his filter media introduced by the rag.

do you believe the benefits of saving the media out way the possible reintroduction of detergent to a uncycled tank via the contaminated media ?

I'm just asking to clarify , not trying to be a big meanie

Honestly I think after putting the filter media in a separate bucket of new treated water that the amount of chemicals will be so minimal it won't matter. If anything just squeeze as much water out of it as possible right before you move it.

Cycling can be a pain (as an owner of 7 tanks :D ) so I would think OP wanted to avoid recycling the tank of possible.

Caleb

Thanks Caleb,
I think the op wanted to hear that.

If enough cleaner got in the tank to kill the fish, it's probably killed the bacteria as well. Most household cleaners are designed to kill bacteria, after all.
None the less, I'm curious to find out if vinegar and/or water conditioner was able to somehow neutralize/remove household cleaner chemicals.

If you're still worried, I'd suggest adding some fresh carbon media to your filter. Removing chemicals from the water column is what it does.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom