Cleaning sand subtrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aqualady40

Aquarium Advice Addict
My fish poop is heavier than my PFS so I am getting more sand in my syphon than poop...any ideas to get the poop out?

You can try stirring the water a little, then siphon it up while it's floating. Also try a turkey baster to suck it up in between water changes. As a last resort you could use a net.

I get some sand when I do mine, and leave it at the bottom of the pail, rinse it off, and return it with treated water. If you are siphoning direct to sink with python (still not good at using mine) I would use a knee high hosiery to put on the end to catch sand. But someone else may have a better idea.

I get some sand when I do mine, and leave it at the bottom of the pail, rinse it off, and return it with treated water. If you are siphoning direct to sink with python (still not good at using mine) I would use a knee high hosiery to put on the end to catch sand. But someone else may have a better idea.

Cool idea far as the sand goes to trap it from getting into the sink...but my question was how to get the poop which is heavier than the sand ...

My sand bed is 3-4 inches. When I see poop. I hold the syphon straight up and down to suck up everything, I'll let the sand rise to about an inch from the top. That way you get the poop and are moving your sand aroundwhich is recommended to do at the same time. If you watch it while your doing it, you loose very little sand. I might lose a cup of sand if that every water change.

It may be wrong but it works for me.

My sand bed is 3-4 inches. When I see poop. I hold the syphon straight up and down to suck up everything, I'll let the sand rise to about an inch from the top. That way you get the poop and are moving your sand aroundwhich is recommended to do at the same time. If you watch it while your doing it, you loose very little sand. I might lose a cup of sand if that every water change.

It may be wrong but it works for me.

Hmmm...okay, that's a thought too

When you suck it up like that, your pulling it all up and you can watch it. The poop goes and the sand pushes it up. I put 125 lbs of sand in my tank and am not even close to seeing a difference. I know it sounds like your sucking sand but when you see it you'll know what I'm talking about. I loose very little each time. but it's cheap so who cares.

When you suck it up like that, your pulling it all up and you can watch it. The poop goes and the sand pushes it up. I put 125 lbs of sand in my tank and am not even close to seeing a difference. I know it sounds like your sucking sand but when you see it you'll know what I'm talking about. I loose very little each time. but it's cheap so who cares.

Thanks and I agree its cheap thats why I have 2 extra bags...lol...but yet I do not wan to have plumbing problems that won't be cheap....

By plumbing problems...are you draining down the sink? If so put a piece of panty hose on the end of the hose. and Or the hot water after your done for a few minutes. Or better yet put it in the toilet or commode

Me personally, I just open the window and let it go. I try to do it when it's raining, but not always.
The sand I lose isn't even noticeable. Even if you filled your tube all the way up, It would stop the flow. Try it a few times, you'll get the hang of it.

I use a turkey baster to get those problem pieces of poo. Also, using a siphon without the cylindrical attachment will give you a surprising amount of suction to get those heavy pieces. Be careful when doing this though it's very easy to suck up things that you don't want to suck up... fish, snails, sand, etc.

I use a turkey baster to get those problem pieces of poo. Also, using a siphon without the cylindrical attachment will give you a surprising amount of suction to get those heavy pieces. Be careful when doing this though it's very easy to suck up things that you don't want to suck up... fish, snails, sand, etc.

oops....uh oh......ok thanks for the pre-warning

Back
Top Bottom