Cleaning Sand...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Use the sink and the pillow case. Keep the pillow case in the sink and just use a big cup and transfer it from there.

fadetoblack06 said:
Use the sink and the pillow case. Keep the pillow case in the sink and just use a big cup and transfer it from there.

Dummy... I really don't know why I can't think of these things on my own lol.. ill keep ya posted! Thanks!

fadetoblack06 said:

Okay I used the pillow case idea and I rinsed the sand out pretty well.. not finished yet but I noticed a film on the surface of my water... will that go away once I turn my filters on???

Yes you just wanted to make sure that the filter was off so that no sand that may have been floating around got sucked into your filter.

fadetoblack06 said:
Yes you just wanted to make sure that the filter was off so that no sand that may have been floating around got sucked into your filter.

Okay cool, so once I'm done adding all the sand, I'll turn on my filters and that film should clear up within a few hours right??

It shouldn't even take a few hours mine was gone quicker than that. Depends on your filter make sure you post pic when it's done or even before and after pics.

fadetoblack06 said:
It shouldn't even take a few hours mine was gone quicker than that. Depends on your filter make sure you post pic when it's done or even before and after pics.

Ill post some pics soon, but I have 2 Fluval fx5's running on this so hopefully it'll clear it up fairly quickly

Yeah I'm sure ill love the sand, it is my first time using sand so hopefully its everything I expect it to be :) gravel can look so ugly sometimes

Your prob going to want to pick up a couple bags of colored sand too to put on top / mix with it the white shows the poo a lot and is hard to keep looking perfect. I have the white but i also picked up 3 bags of black sand too and poured that over it. Don't get me wrong the white looks nice but it's like white carpet you see everything.

fadetoblack06 said:
Your prob going to want to pick up a couple bags of colored sand too to put on top / mix with it the white shows the poo a lot and is hard to keep looking perfect. I have the white but i also picked up 3 bags of black sand too and poured that over it. Don't get me wrong the white looks nice but it's like white carpet you see everything.

+1... you have a very good point, well I guess ill see how everything looks when I'm done putting the white sand in... maybe go out n get 1 bag of black sand

4 bags/100lbs down, only 4 more bags to go :) very cloudy right now but hopefully the filters help out

ForumRunner_20120531_161833.jpg

ForumRunner_20120531_161840.jpg

All the sand is in, turn both filters on last night, very cloudy to begin with but over night n 11hours later it looks pretty darn good, still could be more clear but overall I'm happy :) now I just have to wait for it to cycle and I'm finished :)

ForumRunner_20120601_110239.jpg

ForumRunner_20120601_110245.jpg

Looks beautiful! I love sand. Ill never use gravel again. I goofed by not rinsing it good enough and it took 4 days to clear! Had to cram my stock in a small tank for awhile but it was worth it!

christine2012 said:
Looks beautiful! I love sand. Ill never use gravel again. I goofed by not rinsing it good enough and it took 4 days to clear! Had to cram my stock in a small tank for awhile but it was worth it!

Thank you!!! And yeah ill never go back to gravel either! Sand just looks so much nicer!! :)

Back
Top Bottom