Cleaning shells

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zarmalar

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have these super pretty shells in my bathroom and I'm thinking about adding to my tank. They for sure have soap scum on them and not tank ready. How can I get them tank ready?

Wash them REALLY good off with baking soda or just wash it off to get soap scum off. I do clean mine off with baking soda and none of my fish died in my tank yet.

My landlord threw away some giant conch shells (!!) and I rescued them from the dumpster.

I scrubbed them - someone had put glitter glue on one! And you'll want to get all of the soap off for sure. Then I would boil them- depending on the type of shell they'll have that inside spiral and boiling would get in there where you can't reach.

For some rocks I found I also soaked them in a diluted bleach solution. Then I rinsed them off and soaked them in a bucket of tank water. The bleach has to be completely gone and I figured doing it in tank water wouldn't hurt the process.

I haven't had any problems after doing this and putting them in the tank.

Here are pics, they are so pretty but icky, how long would you boil?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120109_103624.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120109_103624.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 118
  • ForumRunner_20120109_103718.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120109_103718.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 105
Maybe someone else might have a better answer but I suppose it depends on how paranoid you are! I'd do it for for 5-10 minutes--- then do a bleach soak and then boil them again to get all the bleach off. Anyone else?

I rinsed then boiled for 6 mins or so and it was squeaky clean, no residue. Looks awesome

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120109_171859.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120109_171859.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 90
Don't they need to be tested with vinigar to make sure they don't leach calcium carbonate into the water? It seems I remember if they bubble with vinegar then they shouldn't be used in freshwater.

ashleynicole said:
Don't they need to be tested with vinigar to make sure they don't leach calcium carbonate into the water? It seems I remember if they bubble with vinegar then they shouldn't be used in freshwater.

Heading off to test my shells in vinegar now! ;)

... I thought just rocks needed to be tested with vinegar

I know rocks are recommended to be tested, but never seen anything about shells. But I do know shells can raise ph

Back
Top Bottom