Cleaning Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

afasoccerguy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey Everyone,

I need some advise on cleaning my 55 gal freshwater tank. I havent had a tank this big before with a healthy amount of livestock. Ive overfed in the while trying to figure out how much to feed my fish and the gravel at the bottom is full of waste and uneaten food.

In the past Ive collected all the livestock in a bucket with drained water. I collected between 80-90% of the water. Then lifted the tank into the bathtub and cleaned everything with warm water. After that I reassembled the tank and put the water back into the tank and topped off the tank with fresh spring water.

I was thinking that I could use the same tube assembly that Ive used on my smaller tanks and strain the water through a coffee filter.

Should I drain some of the water out and then try to clean through the tube assembly? Should I take out the livestock first?

I need some advice.

Thanks

Have you looked into gravel vacuums? Did you drain 80-90% of water whilst the tank had fish in it?! Anyways just siphon the gravel and collect all the fish poo.

Reduce or stop feeding for a few days, fish can go days without food especially as there is loads on the bottom, less is Definately better. As recommended get a gravel vac, this is a must - do this once a week, or it can be used to remove excess food. Cleaning anything in the tank in warm water is removing helpful bacteria which would help remove toxins in the tank, if anything needs cleaned use tank water. I do 2 water changes a week of around 20-30% each time though everybody does this slightly differently depending on tank and what's in it. I also use an Algae cleaning glove for my glass and a tiny water syphon for hard to reach areas to collect any waste - its got a long plastic pencil thick tube which is really handy for those hard to reach areas.

Removing livestock shouldn't be necessary if you do the cleaning carefully and don't stir up to much waste, removing them is just putting them under stress which can lead to more problems.

I clean my 60g tank by using a gravel vac to suck out about 40% of the water and cleaning the rocks and plants I have in the process. Once I have pulled the water out (usually just drain it into my yard) I temp match my tap water, dose prime for the amount of the tank and fill it up with an aqueon water changer, turning my filters and heaters on as the water gets to a safe level for them to run.

Every month or so I will tear apart my canister filter and wash everything out in a bucket of tank water.

The most fast way is to drain your tank in two part save 50% of the water for your fish. Then save a bucket full for rinsing your gravel. You then car remove your gravel, rinse it and clean your tank without taking it to bathroom. You can also do water changes with a vacuum every four days dividing your tank in four parts and vacuum that part very well untull you feel your gravel is clean.

Thanks for the help everyone, I just removed all the shells, rocks, and non living decoration from my tank. That made quite the mess of the water, very cloudy. I also took about 5 gals of dirty water I took from the tank with my gravel vac that I have. The gravel looks cleaner but my water is merky, but i know that will settle in time.

Every now and then I take my drift wood, plants, and other decor out and vacuum the gravel really good. I don't clean anything else though so I don't disturb the bacteria. It's also a good chance to redecorate my tank. It's nice switching it up and making a new look!

Back
Top Bottom