"Cloudy" Aquarium Water???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brooks1028

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I set up my aquarium probably a little over a month ago. I have this really tiny bubbles all over the inside of my tank. From a distance it makes the water look just barely cloudy. I have no clue what it could be from. It isn't from the filters, I turned the filters off each for over an hour and there was no change.
Please help me, I am at a loss to figure out what is going on here.
Thanks!
Brian

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 111
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 118
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 111
The bubbles aren't on the glass, they are floating in the water.

Check if your filter impellor is sucking air into the chamber. It could be what they call "cavitation". The air gets sucked in and the impellor blades chop them up into fine little bubbles and continually push them into the tank. Try a different filter to see if it clears. OS.

If you have filter floss in filter this also causes micro bubbles. Also make sure water level is high enough to not cause bubbles from filter.

Sent from my C5170 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Check if your filter impellor is sucking air into the chamber. It could be what they call "cavitation". The air gets sucked in and the impellor blades chop them up into fine little bubbles and continually push them into the tank. Try a different filter to see if it clears. OS.

I don't have an air pump so I don't think that there could be air being sucked into the filter. I have an Aquaclear 50 and an Aqueon 30 if that helps.

If you have filter floss in filter this also causes micro bubbles. Also make sure water level is high enough to not cause bubbles from filter.

I have the Aqueon 30 which has the filter cartridges with filter floss on them. I don't think that's the problem though. I did a 50% water change yesterday and all the bubbles were gone. As I poured the new water in, all the bubbles returned. Could it be some sort of bacterial bloom or something like that?

When adding new water from the tap excess bubbles are introduced into the tank. They should go away on their own within a day.

Hi all, I have struggling with this exact same thing for three days now, did 50% water change today, will see if it settles in a day. I also hope that this is not the beginning of an bloom of dome sorts...

Will be keeping you up to date, hope you get help soon?

If they are floating constantly in the water column and you don't have a bubbler in the tank then they are coming from the filter.

When adding new water from the tap excess bubbles are introduced into the tank. They should go away on their own within a day.

I have had these in my tank for quite some time now. They don't go away on their own.

Do you have carbon in your filters. Carbon can hold air and produce micro bubbles. Any time its emerged it will catch air and repeat micro bubbles. It could also be a loose connection on filter that is sucking in air.

Do you have carbon in your filters. Carbon can hold air and produce micro bubbles. Any time its emerged it will catch air and repeat micro bubbles. It could also be a loose connection on filter that is sucking in air.

I have carbon in my aqueon filter cartridges but not my aquaclear. I have purigen in my aquaclear. I'll have to check my filters to make sure that they are sealed correctly. Also, when I poured new water from the bucket to the tank, the bubbles appeared again.

The carbon might have trapped air that slowly releases. Do you have city or well water. And does it go through a water softener.

The carbon might have trapped air that slowly releases. Do you have city or well water. And does it go through a water softener.

It's city water and it doesn't go through a softener.

In this cold weather municipalities add CO2. I have the same problem when doing a water change and it normally clears in a day or so.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom