Cloudy green!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Piscesman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Thanks for all the advice guys, have taken note, and am trying to be patient with the cloudyness of the water. However, I have noticed that the water has now gone a murky, greenish colour, (algae bloom?) and am confused as to what to do?
Its a cold water tank, no live plants in there, and I have 9 guppies, which I have not fed for 2 days. How long can I not feed them for? Anything I can do about the water colour and this situation?
Thanks

The lights are left on for about 5 or 6 hours a day, and the tank is not in direct sunlight ever.

Im having the same issue. I cannot get rid of my greenish water. Ive had the tank for over 6 months. Its been through its cycle incase anyone asks. Its a 29 gallon. 7 Platy, 3 neons, 2 headlight tail lights and a catfish bottom feeder (not sure of its name). I havent added anythng or done anything new in months. We've done 25% water changes every other day or 2 days . Last night after waiting a few days we did almost a 50% .. Nothing works. The lights are on 5 hours in the evening and no direct sunlight hits it.

What to dooo?

hey there copachick, I am going crazy, as this is day 3 now, and have done 2 x 10% water changes, I was going to do another, but after reading what you've written, I am thinking not to do this. I am at a loss, no idea what to do next. I have switched off the tanks lighting, feeding the fish sparingly every other day, and am hoping that this will all clear up. I think maybe i addes too many fish too soon, (9 guppies) and maybe over fed them, although all was going so well for so long!!! Some people have said to leave it alone and that it'll clear up on its own, I'm waiting to see. Stay posted.

greenwater algae is usually caused by too much nutrients or too much light, or a combination of both. Do big water changes, 10% won't put much of a dent in it, and do them daily till it clears up. Cut back on feeding, maybe switch to a pellet so there's less waste, and don't dose any fertilizers if the tank is planted.

Mine has been cloudy for,,, i wanna say 2 months. Definitely not going away on its own :-(

What is your water source? You may be better off going with a UV sterilizer if you can't get it clear through the other methods.

The green water is a type of algae, and it needs nutrients/light to grow, so it has to be coming from somewhere.

I had this a while back. cover the tank for 3 days and no light does the trick and cut down on water changes (maybe skip 1) it might be your water source

You mean, no water changes, feed the fish sparingly daily, and cover the tank with a towel so it's on total darkness for 3 days?

Back
Top Bottom