cloudy tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

butterfly_koi

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 29 gallon tank that includes three calico fantails and one fantail koi, and before people start giving me the speil about my koi its just in my tank until we build the pond for it its only two anda half inches so don't worry about it being too big for the tank. Anyways on to business, my tank is a planted tank and the problem I'm running into is that after my 40% water changes every 5 to 7 days by the third day my tank is cloudy again. Is it because of my goldfish? Because I also have a ten gallon tank with three guppies and that water is crystal clear. Here are some before and after pictures

View attachment 83867

View attachment 83868

It's recommended that the first goldfish have 20 gallons and then an additional 10 gallons for every goldfish thereafter. Even without the koi, you're over 10 gallons short.

You've got a good water change schedule. Are you doing gravel vacs that often?

What are your readings?

I do the gravel vac when I do my water changes I just use it to suck the nasty stuff of the gravel, my goldfish are dirty little things, not sure what the exact number are in my tank because I have to get more testers all I have is the strips till then, my levels seem fine except for the water hardness, I have hard tap water even after I condition the water and cycle it. So when I do my complete water changes (well about 80%) I have to add six gallons of distilled water along with the tap so the water won't be so hard and it helps with the Ph too.

Only four months, I had it set up for almost a month before I added fish the rocks in the tank are from the creek but those were each boiled before they were put in the tank, I also have aquarium sand mixed in the gravel my plants have grown better since I've added the sand

butterfly_koi said:
Only four months, I had it set up for almost a month before I added fish the rocks in the tank are from the creek but those were each boiled before they were put in the tank, I also have aquarium sand mixed in the gravel my plants have grown better since I've added the sand

When did you add the sand? Is that the reason for the cloudiness or no?

I don't think its the sand because it was getting cloudy like that before I added the sand, the sand was added because my plants weren't growing their roots very well, after I added the sand they have been really growing well

They get fed shrimp pellets twice a day mourning and night, I've tried getting them to eat the flakesbut they won't. If I could measure the amount I would say only about a teaspoon full they eat all the food that I put in, my water supply is tap

Back
Top Bottom