cloudy tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sonnytree23

Aquarium Advice Regular
Why is my tank cloudy it has been looking great for about a month my levels are perfect and the fish are great there eating and are healthy, but its just a little cloudy I notice it now because before it was crystal clear. Help lol thanks. P.s are water clarifiers bad?

Quick and easy solution, just add some activated carbon to your filter. It should clear it right up

As to why its cloudy in the first place could be due to many things.

Are you overfeeding? did you just add any plants? any new fish?

I did add new fish and isnt activated carbon in my filter pads as we speak?

So what do I do I dont wanna replace my filter pads because ill loose all the beneficial bacteria. Should I buy the activated carbon and put it in a bag and drop it in my filter?

I would just let it go for now. It's not been a month, it will probably go away on it own. Just don't overfeed! And keep up with the regular water changes.

Well its been over a few months that my filters have been running so should I buy the activated carbon. And drop in my filter?

Oh a few months? I still wouldn't. Sometimes thing like this happen, you have a mini ecosystem, alot of living organisms. I would wait it out and do regular water changes and see if it subsides. If it is still cloudy in 2 months then I would try active carbon. But the bad thing about carbon is that it absorbs ammonia, but only so much then it leach back into the water. So if it does work and you have to keep changing it....more $$

Okay man thanks ill wait it out and keep up on my weekly water changes. But could u answer why this is happening?

Okay man thanks ill wait it out and keep up on my weekly water changes. But could u answer why this is happening?

You said you just added some new fish, so that could most likely be it. Perhaps you could tell us how many and what type of fish? Oh, and tank size

Could you post your exact readings for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate along with ph? This information will help alot in helping determining what the issue is. Also when you do a WC is the water clear and first and then quickly clouds up again? If so this indicates a bacterial bloom. There are a few reasons you could be having a bacterial bloom but usually it is because a tank is having a mini cycle. Also if ph drops too low this can cause a bacterial bloom. A ph of 6.5 will slow bacterial activity and a ph of 6.0 or lower will cause bacterial activity to stop. Then when ph is raised the tank will once again have to cycle. I'm just giving you this info so you understand that different things can cause bacterial blooms. I'm not saying this is what is happening in your tank. If you are indeed having a bacterial bloom the fastest way to clear it is by using a UV sterilizer on your tank. This kills all the free floating bacteria in the water hence the water becomes clear. Many on this forum have had very good luck using this UV filter.... Green Killing Machine Internal UV Sterilizer with Power Head at PETCO. But seriously it helps to find out what is causing the bloom even if you decide to use a UV to clear it up.

Back
Top Bottom