cloudy water frustrations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jnmouse4

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 35 gallon tank. I have mainly guppies in it. In it I have 2 live plants. 2 "decorations" one of them being a white skull that the paint is bubbling. I have been having a lot of trouble getting the water clear. It's always cloudy. I took a sample in and was told that my water looked great. It was suggested that I clean the gravel. So I spent 3 hours cleaning my tank. Changed 50% water. I cleaned the decorations and the gravel. I added bacteria to the water when I was finished (that it's suggested I add when changing water). I had just changed my filter the week before. The water was good for the night but the next more it was cloudy again. Please help! I'm so frustrated.

I have tried clarifiers. makes things worse. A lot worse.

Attachments

• fish.jpg
    fish.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 42
How long has the tank been setup?
I changed the filter yesterday. Also took out one of the plants that looked like it was dying. We've had this tank set up for over a year. This morning it didn't look any better. I'm at a loss of what I can do next. I guess I can change 25/50% of the water but how many times should I be doing that? I just did 50% change on Saturday. When I cleaned everything (but the filter housing) Should I clean that?

I changed the filter yesterday. Also took out one of the plants that looked like it was dying. We've had this tank set up for over a year. This morning it didn't look any better. I'm at a loss of what I can do next. I guess I can change 25/50% of the water but how many times should I be doing that? I just did 50% change on Saturday. When I cleaned everything (but the filter housing) Should I clean that?

OK so your problem is that you are killing off the beneficial bacteria every time you replace your filter cartridge. You are causing your tank to cycle again and again. Don't replace it until the cotton is falling apart. Rinse the filter with tank water and put it back in. Do you have an api master test kit? If so you need to start testing your water.

I also think you are probably dealing with an algae bloom. If you can turn down your lights or reduce how long they are on. How long are your lights on for?

OK so your problem is that you are killing off the beneficial bacteria every time you replace your filter cartridge. You are causing your tank to cycle again and again. Don't replace it until the cotton is falling apart. Rinse the filter with tank water and put it back in. Do you have an api master test kit? If so you need to start testing your water.

I also think you are probably dealing with an algae bloom. If you can turn down your lights or reduce how long they are on. How long are your lights on for?
I try to leave them on only at night time but sometimes I forget. I'm going to get a timer that will help with that. Should I look at getting a UV sterilizer? It does sit by a window, I'm going to cover the side of the tank with a peel and stick something or other that will block the sunshine. Should I just shut the light off for a while?

I plan on taking my water to be tested tomorrow night.

Id test your water yourself with an API master test kit. But I like to know for sure that it's done right.

I'm also leaning towards either a bacteria bloom from your filter change or also a deep gravel vacuum. Only light gravel vacuums of the surface.

It's very possible that it could be an Algae bloom also being it sits next to a window all day then it's getting light all night. I think blocking the window light and keeping your lights on for only 8 hours a day could work. A UV sterilizer wouldn't hurt either.

Id test your water yourself with an API master test kit. But I like to know for sure that it's done right.

I'm also leaning towards either a bacteria bloom from your filter change or also a deep gravel vacuum. Only light gravel vacuums of the surface.

It's very possible that it could be an Algae bloom also being it sits next to a window all day then it's getting light all night. I think blocking the window light and keeping your lights on for only 8 hours a day could work. A UV sterilizer wouldn't hurt either.
Thank you. I'll apply the cover to the side by the window tonight. I'll pick up the sterilizer tomorrow night when I get the water tested.

I don't have a test kit at home.

So when I vacuum the bottom … I should only do a light gravel vacuum of the surface?

Should I add anything to the water for the algae?

Try to get an API master test kit in the near future. Then you can regularly test your water and know what it's doing throughout a week, if it's getting better or worse, and take action to remedy the problem sooner.

Yes, just a light vacuum of the surface to pick up debris off the substrate surface. You only want to do a deep gravel vac a few times a year. And when you do a deep gravel vac do 1/3 of the tank one week. The next week do another 1/3 and so on until you've cleaned it all. Not all at once.

There's a few algaecides on the market but I would try these other measures first before you go that route. Your water quality is priority number one at the moment. The UV sterilizer and cutting back on lighting may do the trick.

Back
Top Bottom