Cloudy water, HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Piscesman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ok guys, I'm new to this site, so all help is more than welcome.
I have a new set up tank 110litres, (US 29 gallons) and no fish in it as yet. Its going to be used for coldwater fish, so there is no heater in there.
I have a external filter, (aquamanta EFX200) and from day one the water has been on the cloudy/hazy side.
I washed and washed all the gravel till the water ran clean, and all the items that went in were washed too, like decorations and plastic plants, etc. I added the liquids, Aqua+ (to strip the chlorine) and also added Cycle, (to help build up the bacteria.) The tank has been on now for 10 days, and although the water sort of 70% cleared up and was getting a bit clearer, its now gone back to its cloudy/hazy self. Its strange, but when you look at the tank face on, it seems fine, (not too cloudy) but when you look at it from the side, its clear at the forefront, but the further in you look the cloudier and hazier it gets! Is this normal? will it EVER clear up, till its crystal clear? Thanks guys.

maybe its still cycling? ive had a tank where it was cloudy for the first 3 weeks before it cleared up. it might be the bacteria spike.

You should read up on fishless cycling as that is your best bet to successfully keep fish. I would try to source some pure ammonia to help get your tank cycled.

I'd recommend reading through the article I have linked to below:
The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling

As far as the cloudy water, can you take some and put it in a white glass? That will let you know if you have white cloudy water or green water.

White cloudy water is a bacterial bloom, commonly found in cycling tanks (which I don't think yours is yet, even though you added Cycle). You need a source of ammonia to keep the bacteria alive. White cloudy water will go away in time after the cycle has completed.

If it is green water then it is an algae bloom. This can be caused by many things but the most common is excess light. If there are windows around, close the blinds. Keep the tank out of direct sunlight if possible.

try to find an ammonia liquid kit, pour the reccomended amount in and it should be supplamented with the bacteria and slowly your tank will cycle.

Thanks guys, the advice has been helpful, I will read up on a fishless cycle and see what it says in depth.

Back
Top Bottom