Cloudy water- help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HannahJo

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I am still pretty new to the aquarium world. I have my 72 gallon set up with 1 turtle and 5 fish. It's been cycled and it's been going great for about a year. I do a 50-75% water change every 2 weeks, I add water as needed (usually not a lot; maybe 3-5 gallons here and there). I have never had issues with water parameters. The only issue I've ever run across was having high PH- but I have been using a water conditioner and it has leveled out. I do use tap water but always always always use the tap water safe stuff- haven't had any issues. I have an 80 gallon sponge filter going and also a little 10-15 gallon waterfall filter going. I have 2 lights going on one side of the tank for the turtle- one UV and one heat. I have a water heater in there as well.
Ok so- the last time I did a 75% water change, approximately 1.5 weeks ago I noticed my water was cloudy. The water was cloudy a few days before I did the water change- I thought once I cleaned up everything and did the water change it would clear right up. Well it hasn't! The water is still cloudy as ever and I can't figure it out. Nobody seems to be bothered. I read something about a bacteria bloom- could this be the cause? Do I need to worry?

Yes it's nothing to worry about

Since you hav a huge bioload and like not even 2x filtration you are experiencing a Bacteria bloom. do you have gravel in your tank?

No gravel its bare bottom. Are you saying I need more filtration? Would a 2nd sponge be enough?

You might vac the bottom to get any uneaten food out - skip a day of feeding and watch the ammonia. The bigger the turtles get, they make a bigger mess and cause more waste.

More filtration is likely needed for long term safety on the tank.

Ok will do! I regularly check the parameters and always appears good. This is the first time in almost a year I've had cloudy water. Its usually crystal clear! I am going to go ahead and run the 2nd sponge anyway- it cant hurt. I have heard turtles are suuuuuper messy!

Back
Top Bottom