Cloudy water in new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kelseytingler

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I set up a new tank 1 week ago with 2 aquaclear 70s it's a 40 gal tank. So when I added sand it was cloudy and then cleared up two days later, been clear for 3 days ish, and now is going cloudy again... I'm confused and frustrated. Ratings are relatively the same. 0 nitrite 5 nitrate .4 am, what's going on here? Should I do a water change? The water isn't murky it's just not crystal clear like my other tank. any ideas? Thanks.

I set up a new tank 1 week ago with 2 aquaclear 70s it's a 40 gal tank. So when I added sand it was cloudy and then cleared up two days later, been clear for 3 days ish, and now is going cloudy again... I'm confused and frustrated. Ratings are relatively the same. 0 nitrite 5 nitrate .4 am, what's going on here? Should I do a water change? The water isn't murky it's just not crystal clear like my other tank. any ideas? Thanks.
You could do a few large water changes and add some filter floss. Did you wash the sand really well before adding it to the tank. A sponge over the intake pipe would be a good idea in a sand tank.....

If it's a new tank it could be a bacterial bloom which is normal and will clear up itself you can do extra pwc as well.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If the tank was cloudy at first, because the sand wasn't clean, all that material is still in the tank until it is either filtered out or removed by water changes. If the sand is cleaned properly, the tank will be clear from the start.

Back
Top Bottom