Cloudy water problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GingerMinusSoul

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So this is a bit of a saga...

I purchased an API Filstar canister filter about a month ago for my 55 gallon tank. It worked fantastically and my water was crystal clear and parameters were perfect etc.

About two weeks after I bought it, I bought a few new fish to replace some fish that I lost after moving a few months ago. One of the fish ended up bringing ich into the tank, so I proceeded with the normal ich procedures (salting the water, raising the temp, and adding medicine). All of the fish recovered just fine (I'm impressed no one was lost!), but after I took the carbon out of the filter to treat, the water got pretty cloudy.

I expected that after I was done treating for ich and replaced the carbon, the water would go back to normal. But now, even after two 40% water changes, no dice. It's not super cloudy, but it definitely has a whitish tint to it when looking through the tank longways. Looking from the front the water looks okay.

Any ideas on how to clear it up? Is this a situation where water clarifier would be beneficial or is there something else I can do? I don't think I'm overpopulated, and everyone seems happy and healthy in the tank. Water parameters are still good except for pH (a little high) which I've been controlling with some tetra chemicals (that I've been using for years and never had this problem).

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hi.
If the bloom is milky white it could be a bacterial bloom as a result of the trauma the tank went through, particularly raising and lowering the temperature. Ignore it and water change based on your test results rather than the look of the tank. It will settle in its own time.
For water clarity I swear by Purigen, it's a bit pricey but the results are outstanding but I don't think that will sort out the bacterial bloom. Time will sort that out.

Sent from my iPad in West Yorkshire, U.K.

Back
Top Bottom