Cloudy Water - Too many fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

psun03

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 10 gallon tank that I have been using for the past 6 months. The water use to be nice and somewhat clean, but lately (past month or two) the tank has been very dirty. In the tank, I host 4 comet goldfish and 3 ghost shrimp. The water generally has not been very clear (see photos). I thinking that I either have too many fish and/or not enough or the wrong filtration.

Here is my specs.
10 gallon tank
XY-2831 Air Pump Sponge Filter for Aquarium, Tank [link]
Aqua Culture Air Pump [link]

I do water 20% water changes every week. Once a month, I do a 50%-75% water change.

I feed the fish pellets [link]

I have tried several DIY solutions for filters, but the one above seems to be the best.

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_20170206_215643.jpg
    IMG_20170206_215643.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_20170206_215650.jpg
    IMG_20170206_215650.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 58
YES, too many!!!

Goldfish seem like they could be in a small tank. BUT it is a bad idea. They're constantly polluting the water. They need a large tank, check out the article link below, and a huge filtration set up with frequent pwc.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...uire-big-tanks-visual-perspective-265871.html

20 gallons for the first fish and 10G or more for each additional fish, more if it is a Comet type which can get well over a foot long ( and really belong in a pond), With a 10x or more per gallon filtration as in how many gallons per hour the filter turns through the water.

Also a recent thread with many things to do to help with cloudy water
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/cloudy-water-help-please-354408.html

Last edited:
Rehome the goldfish or build a pond, there is no way to keep comets in 10g long term period, and even short term can cause serious harm like stunting.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hi, psun03 your problem is pretty simple. Your fish have out grown your tank. You see, goldfish grow at a very fast rate and the are perhaps the dirtiest fish of all. What I mean by dirty is they produce very high levels of toxins and waste, which is why your water is cloudy. I currently have several goldfish that are about 3 years old and close to 12 inches long. So you can see how big they can get. Plan and simple, you need a much bigger tank and better filtration. I would recommend at least a 75 gallon without any other fish. I currently have 8 in a 400 gallon. But like I said, they are 12 inches long now in just a few years. If you can't get them into a larger tank you may wAnt to consider selling them or giving them away and getting some fish that don't grow so large. Unfortunately , the people who work at most pet stores don't tell people about how large a goldfish can get. They really do require a lot of tank space to be happy and healthy. Until you can get them into a bigger home, I recommend doing daily 50% water changes. I hope this helps. Good luck with your fish :)

Thanks

I figured as much. Thanks for the advice

Just wanted to add one more thought. As I posted above, I keep 8 comets that are 12 inches long in a 400 gal tank, however this is just a holding tank for the winter. And I have to do frequent water changes on it. Fortunately it's in my basement where it is much cooler and the fish are less active. In the spring I move them back to my 4000gal garden pond, which is where goldfish truly should be kept.

ps...

The water in small tanks needs to be changed a lot more often than the water in a larger tank. If I had a 10 G, I'd change out most of the water a couple of times a week. This way, dissolved material from the tank that gives the water a hazy look is removed regularly and keeps the water cleaner and clearer.

B

Back
Top Bottom