Cloudy water within an hour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gemma94 said:
But if we change half the water every-other day then the cycle will not work properly as the bacteria isnt going to sort its self out

You're going to have to do lots of water changes unless you don't mind losing most of your fish. Prime helps detox these spikes for a short time. But ultimately, its about keeping the fish alive through all of this. I changed out 25 gallons a day in my 55 for almost two months. Kept all of my fish alive and didn't stall my cycle. To my understanding there is little to no bacteria in the water column. This will not stall your cycle. An API master kit will help you keep a close eye on your cycle. I couldn't have made it this far without it! Good luck.

There is no reason so get upset in this thread. I'm sure Gemma is upset enough already. These are the things we learn from.

This is not a new issue that new people run into. What we need to do is give the OPer the information that they need and show them the way to correct it.

If they choose not to follow it, then let it be.

Here is a good article to read through:

Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

Gemma, If you can, I would recommend finding someone around you that has an aquarium and ask them for some USED filter media. By placing used media in your filter, you will dramatically reduce the time to cycle your aquarium.

I would also read up on the Nitrogen cycle to be more familiar with it.

And Good Luck.

Gemma94 said:
But if we change half the water every-other day then the cycle will not work properly as the bacteria isnt going to sort its self out

Step 1. You should probably do a large water change now and please READ the articles we are posting.

Step 2. Go buy your very own test kit, it is absolutely necessary.

Step 3. Test your water and tell us what the exact parameters are. If your tank was not cycled they still could have told you the water was "perfect" because maybe there is no ammonia in your water to begin with. That does not mean you can add several fish, because there will be no bacteria in your filter to handle the bioload.

People are only getting so upset because we are trying to get points across and it doesn't seem like you want to accept them.

People are only getting so upset because we are trying to get points across and it doesn't seem like you want to accept them.

I understand why people are getting upset, but that doesn't mean they should. People come here for help when they know things aren't going right.

The OPer came here for help (first step in fixing the issue), now it's up to use to help them with this problem. The more we belittle the OPer, the better chance the OPer will just leave and go somewhere else or just give up on keeping fish.

It's our (AA members) job to give the OPer direction and help. We can't make the horse drink the water, but we can show them where the water is.

Again, we are here to help one another. If the person doesn't want the help, then so be it. We need to stay on the providing information side and stay away from the insulting side.

I agree, lets calm everything down and try to help. I agree with the other posts and implore the OP to read the articles on cycling in the article section, they are a wealth of information. Unfortunately LFS workers (even long timers) are not always well versed in the specifics behind tank cycling. The reason I believe is because either they are untrained, or they have been in the hobby so long that cycling isn't something they have dealt with in a long time, nor has it been something they've really spent time to break down and really understand on a deeper level.

rkilling1 said:
I understand why people are getting upset, but that doesn't mean they should. People come here for help when they know things aren't going right.

The OPer came here for help (first step in fixing the issue), now it's up to use to help them with this problem. The more we belittle the OPer, the better chance the OPer will just leave and go somewhere else or just give up on keeping fish.

It's our (AA members) job to give the OPer direction and help. We can't make the horse drink the water, but we can show them where the water is.

Again, we are here to help one another. If the person doesn't want the help, then so be it. We need to stay on the providing information side and stay away from the insulting side.

I was telling the op, and I never said that anyone should be, but they are. Besides no one belittled any one, some people just became frustrated, as I'm sure you have at some point before. All I was saying is that people are naturally getting frustrated because it would be more helpful to the op and their fish if they tried to accept our advice even though I realize it can be hard to accept advice that is contradicting the pet store when you first start out. No one should get mad at the op, I agree, but it happens.

forget the amount of fish for the next month or two. for now he needs an api master kit and a jug of ammonia to get the tank cycled before he starts worrying about how many fish to put in it. you probably should start out in the getting started forum. then come back here once the tank is cycled.

bcurlacher54 said:
forget the amount of fish for the next month or two. for now he needs an api master kit and a jug of ammonia to get the tank cycled before he starts worrying about how many fish to put in it. you probably should start out in the getting started forum. then come back here once the tank is cycled.

No, they already have fish.

Back
Top Bottom