cloudy water wont go away

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wrag1983

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hey ,guys i really need some advice on my tank ..its been up and running since july time and im only keeping 4 goldfish in my 48ltr tank ..i dont want expensive fish just yet as im not 100% all the best ways to keep them healthy and the water clear .it all started as normal in july with bacterial bloom ..ok cloudy water what i was told that was fine it went away and was great for a long time ..i was ofcourse cleaning and changing filter foams when needed,and weekly water changes..until last few weeks it has become real cloudy again and im struggling to get it clear this time ,ive washed the gravel i have a gravel cleaner and everything is clean inside my tank but the water is still cloudy ...whats going on guys ? i need your help before any of my fish become ill ..ps. if my pump is just agitating the water surface is this enough air for my fish ? or should it be blowing air bubbles in aswell ? im so confused ..i thought i had it cracked untill recently ! help me please ..

Welcome to AA!

Your problem is you're keeping 4 goldfish in a 12g tank. Fancy goldfish need 30g for the first fish and an additional 10g for each additional fish. Long-bodied goldfish like comets and feeders need much more room than the fancies. I'd look at rehoming them and start with some small tropical fish.

Changing the filter foam is another problem. The manufacturers want you to change it because they can sell more. In reality, the filter foam houses a lot of good bacteria and every time you change out the foam, you're putting your tank through another cycle. Simply rinse the filter pads in old tank water (not chlorinated) when you do PWCs. You'll save some money and preserve your good bacteria.

The filter will usually provide all the surface agitation you need. If you're not running a UGF, the air pumps are mostly ornamental.

question: are you putting NEW filter foam in each time or just rinsing and replacing it? if you are putting new ones in you are throwing away your bio filter just rinse in OLD tank water (not tap water) and replace, btw not sure how big 48 L is converted to gallons but goldfish have a large bio load, your tank might be a bit small...

hi again, thanks for advice guys..no i am washing the foams out in the water but i mean after the time stated on the box they should be replaced i do it ..fishkeeping is doing my head in lol,is tropicals easier to keep and maintain ?

tropicals have a lot less bioload so you could keep more fish in less space (probably better for your setup). PS the consensus on here is to keep your filter until it is falling apart and then leave it with the new filter for a few weeks, forget about what it says on the box, they r just trying to sell filters. That is what most on here do (including me :)

I would personally rehome your goldfish and find a tropical species that you like, research it (on here,wiki, or other internet sites) to be sure it is right for you and your tank and give it a try. The most important thing is for you to be informed and enjoy your hobby so you have fun and continue doing it and hopefully can help others with their questions. Have fun!
ps if you like labryinth fish (air breathers) try a male Betta, they are beautiful (but you can only have one in a tank fyi)

Ok i shall have a look at some ,thanks for your advice ..ps one my goldfish is just lying on the bottom ..you think he might be constipated ..i aint seen him poo in ages come to think on it .

If he's lying on the bottom, I would think it may be ammonia poisoning due to all the goldfish you have in such a small tank. Could you tell us your water parameters?

I would suggest doing a PWC right now.

Back
Top Bottom