Cloudy water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alfredoman

Aquarium Advice Activist
One time my water was really cluody we discovered it was an alge bloom how can i prevent it from happening again

do you have fish in there now? I assume you do. DO you have a test kit to check the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate level? The kit is really essential in this hobby. The cloudy water can be caused by ammonia bloom. But since it is quite sometime that your tank has been setup, it should not be an ammonia bloom unless you have a mini-cycle. Or if it is really algae bloom, maybe your light is on more than it should be? Ideal is from 8-10 hours photoperiod.

Yea we ended up covering it and leaving light off and it got fixed i hav the pet store test it

Okay. But for a good investment, you should get your own test kit, mostly recommended is the API Freshwater Master Kit, because they are liquid test kit, it's accurate, which you want. The LFS normally test your water with a test strip and they are notorious for not being accurate.

Maybe for now keep up with the PWC. Every problem always gets solve with PWCs.

And just in case if your local fish store (LFS) didn't tell you yet, the proper cycled tank should have the following water parameters at the most:

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 5-40ppm

Ammonia and nitrite reading more than 0.25ppm are detrimental to your fish residents.

ohh...what kind of pleco do you have? if it is a common, you probably should bring him back coz they get up to 24" long. the tetras should be in a school of at least 6 or more to thrive. I am not sure about the barbs and platys but I think they are also a schooling.shoaling fish.

Back
Top Bottom