Cloudy water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jayhawks12279

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I set up a 125 freshwater a little over 3 weeks ago. I know it's gonna be cloudy for ahwile but does anyone have an estimate on how long before it starts to clear up. I've been doing water changes about every 5 days and it doesn't seem to help.

What does the water look like? Is it milky white cloudy, or is there a green or brown tinge to it?

What kind of substrate are you using?

Have you added anything else to the tank?

What kind of filtration are you using?

Did you cycle the tank before adding fish? How many fish have you put in at once? You can always do partial water changes help clear up water a lot and you can do them whenever you want. Be sure to vacuum your substrate at least twice a week during these early stages

It's just a normal new setup cloudy but it seems to be taking longer than I'm used to. I used pool filter sand as my substrate and that could be it but I'm not sure. I'm using a fluval 440 and two Emperor 400's as my filters. I used a liquid cycler for 4 days before adding 6 mollies and then 11 neons, 6 tiger barbs and 1 pleco a couple weeks later. My water has been normal and I've been doing my water changes. 25 gallons each time.

Those liquid cyclers can be tricky. Do you have a test kit to check the water parameters (mainly ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate)? Depending on your current levels the tank may or may not still be cycling. The pool sand can make things a little cloudy at the start especially if it wasn't total rinsed out.

Yeah I have a master test kit and my water has never had ammonia or nitrites. It doesn't test for nitrate

I guess I was just a little too impatient seeing as I woke up today and it was a lot clearer. Just did another water change so I imagine it will only get better from here. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Back
Top Bottom