cloudy water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And on another note I'm ordering 2 new hob filters. One for this tank and another to replace the 100gph that's on my wifes planted 20gallon freshwater tank.
What sizes should I order for both
the one I'm buying has
125,160,225,350 gph
The tank sizes say
25,35,55,75 in the same order

I'm planning on buying the
drs foster and smith , bio system power filter and oxy surface cleaner

I've heard good things about them and saw some positive reviews on YouTube and other forums. Seems like a solid product.

The 35 - 160gph for my wifes and
The 55 - 225 for mine?

That seems good to me. Over filtering.... I like.

Also while at the lfs near me the owner was trying to sell me seachem seagel they sent him the wrong thing and he has a bunch of 2L jars of it and told me he could sell them to me for $20 each. What is it and do I need it?

Any products I should get? I have plenty of salt for now. I heard I needed something for my Ph. I can't test it till I get my test kit I ordered

Any products I should get? I have plenty of salt for now. I heard I needed something for my Ph. I can't test it till I get my test kit I ordered

It depends on if your going to have corals or just a FOWLR (fish only with live rock) corals need calcium so I suggest reef code A and B from Brightwell aquatics. For your PH I use marine buffer from Seachem. I also run ROWAphos in my hob filter to remove excess phosphates. High phosphates can lead to Ciano bacteria which is a red bacteria that will grow on your sand caused by excess phosphates. Also what lights are you running and what are your stocking intentions?

IMO don't buy any products yet. I had a tank for almost a full year and did NOTHING but water changes. Didn't any dosing of chemicals or buffers.

If your good with your weekly water changes your be fine. Your salt mix is replenishing a lot of what you need.

Save your money for now. If and when you start corals them maybe down the road you may look into something. Buffers shouldn't be needed with proper flow, surface agitation etc. again... Save your money.

Purigen or phosguard are good but if your having phosphate issues some products will just mask the issue at hand. I'm a firm believer in less is more.

The less crap you throw in to your tank the better.

Just my opinion.

Last edited:
You'll want to get nitrate, pH and alkalinity test kits if you're just going with fish and you will want a couple of others once you have some corals growing. I like Red Sea test kits. They cost a little bit more than the cheapest kits but you can get inexpensive refills after that. They're easy to use and accurate. But... if it comes down to choosing any piece of equipment to get first, an RO filter should be right at the top. A book also helps immeasurably.

Also, you'll want to keep the tank full of water all the time to stop any splashing. That will cause a huge salt creep mess. Freshwater tanks are sometimes allowed to get low on water but that's bad for salt levels and any water that splashes will leave salt behind. You'll want to top off the tank with freshwater every day.

I've got a hydrometer. And I ordered API saltwater master kit already

As for stocking 2 occ clowns and?? Maybe damsels I don't really know what else I want other than clowns I gotta do research and see what all I can have in a 36. I want peaceful fish

I've got a hydrometer. And I ordered API saltwater master kit already

As for stocking 2 occ clowns and?? Maybe damsels I don't really know what else I want other than clowns I gotta do research and see what all I can have in a 36. I want peaceful fish

Damsels are notoriously nippy fish. I have a PJ Cardinal and he is about as relaxed as it gets. Also have a yellow watchman gobie who is also relaxed.
Just a couple suggestions.

Ok thanks I'll look them up. Like I said I know I can put more that 2 clowns in my tank just haven't looked to see what I can get

Back
Top Bottom