cloudy water....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

csu0811

Aquarium Advice Newbie
yesterday I bought a new wet/dry sump filter, and also a protein skimmer. I have it all up, yesterday my water was pretty clear and today it is pretty cloudy like a white haze, what is causing this? also I don't think my water is circulating very well, i have a hang on overflow, and then the return hose back into the tank, is the water from the bottom of the tank being filtered? thank you

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
It is hard to say what is causing the water to turn cloudy without knowing the history of the tank. Can you describe the age, filtration, livestock, size and current water parameters? If this is a new tank, cloudy water is common as the substrate settles. "White haze" can also mean an excessive NH3 level in the water. This is very toxic to livestock. Does the water smell foul? It is possible that you distrupted the biological filtration of the tank causing a mini-cycle. Sorry...more info is needed.Please list NH3, NO2, NO3

If you have the tests knowing ph/alk/ca would also be helpful. Have you added any supplements to the tank?

Back
Top Bottom