Clown fish/Anemone vs tank size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

0311Marine

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm very new to the hobby, and have 2 questions in regards to anemone and clown fish.

1. Can one anemone host more than 1 clown fish, or do they usually claim one anemone for each?

2. Are there any minimal tank size to raise anemones?

3. I have read that where there are clown fishes, you don't need to feed the anemone.

I currently have a 10 gal tank, fully cycled with 2 live rocks, 2 hermit crabs, 4 corals, 1 green demselfish, 2 clown fish, and 1 dragonet. Thank you for your advice!:thanks:

I'm very new to the hobby, and have 2 questions in regards to anemone and clown fish.

1. Can one anemone host more than 1 clown fish, or do they usually claim one anemone for each?

2. Are there any minimal tank size to raise anemones?

3. I have read that where there are clown fishes, you don't need to feed the anemone.

I currently have a 10 gal tank, fully cycled with 2 live rocks, 2 hermit crabs, 4 corals, 1 green demselfish, 2 clown fish, and 1 dragonet. Thank you for your advice!:thanks:

Anemones can host multiple clownfish.

Don't know much about the size, but I would say at least a 30 gallon. And they need high light and an established tank.

Honestly, many people will say you are overstocked right now. Every person has the right to do whatever they want, but you may want to look into upgrading. Im you sure you know the requirements of your fish, so I won't lecture. If you don't know the requirements, look on live aquaria. If you are thinking about an anenome in your tank, I'd highly reconsider. If you want your clowns to host, try something like a torch coral? Or hammer or frogspawn. An anenome would be a very bad choice in a 10

Anemones can host multiple clownfish.

Don't know much about the size, but I would say at least a 30 gallon. And they need high light and an established tank.

Honestly, many people will say you are overstocked right now. Every person has the right to do whatever they want, but you may want to look into upgrading. Im you sure you know the requirements of your fish, so I won't lecture. If you don't know the requirements, look on live aquaria. If you are thinking about an anenome in your tank, I'd highly reconsider. If you want your clowns to host, try something like a torch coral? Or hammer or frogspawn. An anenome would be a very bad choice in a 10

Thanks for the advice, ill look into it a bit more =)

+1 to all of the above. Min size for a BTA for example is 30g anyway. If your new to the hobby I would say your tank hasn't been running too long either? Nems are delicate creatures that require super stable conditions (difficult in a 10g in the best of times) and intense lighting. Most people recommend at least a year wrote adding one. Just so you know, clowns don't need an anemone and chances are they may never host it anyway... Hope you get addicted and upgrade your tank too!

Back
Top Bottom