Clown fish question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jann Josh

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just bought 2 clown fish from my lfs, in my excitement I forgot to ask them how can I tell a male from a female clown. They are still bought juvenile, one is about a quater of an inch and the other one is about an inch. One thing I noticed is that the seems to be figthing. The smaller one if fighting back. If they keep fighting, do I have to return the the other one to my lfs. I also got 4 hermit crab in my tank. What do I have to feed these guys, although I keep seeing them picking thing on my LR. Thanks for any info you can share. :p

I this is a mated pair the larger of the two is the female. The crabs will be fine with the pickins from the LR & LS

The dominant clown will become the female, most likely it will be the larger one. Unless the fighting is life threatening and you see fins being torn up, I wouldn't worry too much. This is totally normal behavior with Clownfish and the dominance needs to be established. As for feeding, Clowns are carnivores and require a good mix of high quality foods. Ocean Nutrition and San Fransico brand make a nice variety of high quality frozen foods. Mix it up for them and try to stay away from a diet of brine. Marine Crusine and The Formula 1 and 2 are nice foods in particular IMO. Be sure to get a good vitamin supplement such as selcon to add to their diet for extra nutrition.
Enjoy, clownfish are wonderful fish. :)

Ugh if they do keep fighting eventually one is going to win AKA the other one will die thats what happened tom y demsil but thats a diff. speicies. The blue legged hermits will be fine one whats found in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom