Clown having spasms..ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jwburleson97

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can anyone help me diagnose what is wrong with my clownfish? Here's the info on him (or her?)
Tank raised, bought in Oct 06, tankmate firefish (best buddies). Eats like a pig! (begs worse than the dog).
In Nov 06 ich hit the tank. I tried to fight it by doing garlic and going hypo, didn't work. I QT the clown and fire for 4 weeks, (treated w/copper). They were clean, put them back in the DT, 2 days later both had a couple of spots. I tried KickIch per the LFS advice. After about 10 days the clown would sit on the bottom and just about fall over. Immediately I put him and the fire in a QT. After 2 days he was still sitting on the bottom not eating. I treated w/ copper. Clown came back to life. That was 5 weeks ago. But now he has these horrible like seizures or spasms. Neither he or the fire have had white spots. They both flash from time to time but no spots and I watch them like a hawk all day. What's causing these spasms? Is it the copper? The firefish is perfectly fine. Water params: Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0.

My question is, what did you introduce into the tank that brought the ich in? When was the firefish introduced?

Treating with copper in the QT was OK but you have to leave the main fishless for eight weeks. It looks like you treated and got the ick off of them but when you put them back in the tank you reintroduced it to them. IMO kick ick does nothing. Also in my opinion you`ll need to QT the fish and keep main fishless for 8 weeks to break the parasites life cycle.

Yep, I'm actually going longer. In the meantime while they are the QT for the next month or so what could be causing the spasms in the clown? There have been no spots for the last 5 weeks. The only thing I can think of is maybe this is a reaction to the kick ick...which believe me is junk.
My question is, what did you introduce into the tank that brought the ich in? When was the firefish introduced?
Long story: these guys were part of a marine bio lab project. My lab partner introduced a mithrax crab incorrectly to the tank (added the water along w/ the crab) and viola...ich! Unfortunately I didn't know she had done this, thought she knew better since she had seen me acclimate animals before. Anyway, this was 3 days before the end of the semester. I was bringing the fish home and acclimating them to my tank and discovered the ich...been fighting it ever since.

Back
Top Bottom