Clown Loach

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chellebean7678

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had a pair of clown loaches before and they got along great. I now have two clown loaches and they were bought at the same time. Now one is bigger than the other and picking on the little one. I only have a 46 tank and I have read that they need to be in a group of five or more. I cannot house five (because of their full frown size eventually).
My question is, should I buy one more clown loach to make it a small group or should I buy a couple of panda cories? (I read that the cories will school with the loaches.) What do you think?

In my tank: 1 ghost angel, 4 round banded barbs, 1 x-ray tetra, 4 other tetras (tiny green guys, forgot their name), and 1 albino bristle nose.

Thank you for the help.

Don't buy anymore loaches and consider rehoming them in exchange for a larger shoal of panda cories. Would be the best outcome for all parties.

If you keep the loaches, plan on a 6' long tank. I have 6 clown loaches in a 220. They are all around 8-10" now, and they fill the tank!!

How large are the clown loaches currently?
I do agree that your tank will not be the best full time home for them, but they grow like an inch a year. So, you may have a little leeway, especially if you are willing to rehome or upgrade in the future.
In my experience with loaches, they can be pills to smaller loaches of the same species. not always, but U have a clan of zebra loaches who has done the same thing. In this case, I would suggest trying to trade away one loach for one that is similarly sized to the other one. But, only if you are willing to either eventually rehome them or else upgrade. They will max out your tank.
Panda cories are not likely to school with them if there is too much size difference IME. I would not count on that, even though I also have read accounts that it sometimes happens.
I also suggest looking to zebra loaches, yoy loaches, and the angelicus botia. They all have beautiful colors, are active, not too nippy, and stay a manageable size.

How large are the clown loaches currently?
I do agree that your tank will not be the best full time home for them, but they grow like an inch a year. So, you may have a little leeway, especially if you are willing to rehome or upgrade in the future.
In my experience with loaches, they can be pills to smaller loaches of the same species. not always, but U have a clan of zebra loaches who has done the same thing. In this case, I would suggest trying to trade away one loach for one that is similarly sized to the other one. But, only if you are willing to either eventually rehome them or else upgrade. They will max out your tank.
Panda cories are not likely to school with them if there is too much size difference IME. I would not count on that, even though I also have read accounts that it sometimes happens.
I also suggest looking to zebra loaches, yoy loaches, and the angelicus botia. They all have beautiful colors, are active, not too nippy, and stay a manageable size.

One is about 1 1/2 inches and the other about 2. I will move them into a bigger tank when they outgrow this one. They are babies right now. 46 gal. is plenty of room for them so far.

I still recommend trading one the bigger one. It seems like your best option for maintaining peace. Upgrading the future is an excellent plan. Just keep an eye on them, and make sure not to wait too long.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom