Clown Loaches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gmanova

Aquarium Advice Activist
Will Clown Loaches work in a 46 Gal. lightly planted tank? I now have 8 Mollies, 3 Tetras and 3 Platties. I am also planning on adding 3 Corys!

:thanks:

the loaches get pretty big. around 8ish inches, usually people recommend a 4ft tank for them(not familiar with a 46 gal dimensions), because you need a group of at least 3 but preferably 5 or more.

and if it were me i wouldnt add the cories if i was going to have the clowns

Unless you are committed to getting a much larger tank in a few years avoid the clown loaches.

While they are fantastic playful fish they will grow to big in a few years for your tank.

My tank is 3ft. long by 13inches wide by 20inches tall! Are 3 clown loaches a necessity? Can I get just one and be O.K.? What about Kuhli loaches instead? If loaches wonT work, how many Cory's can I get? Also, can they be different kinds i.e. Albinos, Panda's, and Greens?

I would stick with a different type of loach... There are plenty of them. Kuhli's, yo-yos, zebra loach, etc.

Clown loaches are very social fish. If they are by themselves, they hide most of the time and stress easily.

Clown loaches are very social fish. If they are by themselves, they hide most of the time and stress easily.

I'd have to disagree with that. I have had a single clown for a number of years now. He is constantly out and about digging through the sand and hanging around with my upside down catfish.

Clowns are extremely slow growers, right around an inch a year. You will be fine with a clown in a 46g for a few years.

Hold the phone LOL!

http://www.tetra-fish.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16150

About 1/2 way down this page (through a lot of other fish that we shouldn't have in tanks) are pics of a few mature clown loach in a tank.

What do you do with it after you can no longer keep it? Is that fair?

I wouldn't do it - I looked at them too - came home and researched them and immediately decided against it!... Yes - look at the Kuhli Loach. They look very cool. And stay much smaller.

Thanks for the pics jmpgop! Wow that Clown Loach is huge! So if I go Kuhli's and Cory's, how many of each can I go with? A book I have on fish says the Clown Loaches get to 12 " in Nature, but rarely larger than 5" in captivity! REALLY CONFUSED NOW! :confused:

Last edited:
Mine is at the 5" mark already. It is four years old, give or take a few months. It is in a 75g with a 220g tank in storage when I get around to setting it up. A buddy of mine has one that is probably around 9". The thing is HUGE and quite boisterous.

Go for something other than clowns....they get much bigger than 5" in the tank. 12" isn't uncommon, AND they're bulky. Kuhli loaches are pretty cool. I'd start with maybe 3 Kuhlis and six to 8 corys and see how crowded your tank bottom looks. :)

Kuhlis are amazing. They're little acrobats and have a low bioload. I have a dozen of them in my 46 community and love them to bits.

I wouldn't get less than 5 and that's an absolutely minimum. The more you have, the safer they feel and you'll see their true behavior.

Thanks LindaB! I also have a 46 gal.tank with 4 Black mollies, 4 Silver mollies, 3 Platties, and 3 Tetras. If I add 5 Kuhli's what else would pop my tank? I like Cories and thinking of 3 Albino's! My substrate is black with a black backwall and a few plants.

I would say up the albino cories up to 5 as well if you get them (and the tetras, although 6 is better--schooling species don't do well in small groups). While corys are a schooling species, they're ok in 3's, but they do better in the larger groups.

Back
Top Bottom