Clown Loaches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

courtnee

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well I was going to buy a few YoYo Loaches for my snail problem in my tank. I get to the LFS and the YoYo Loaches are TINY. They would not stand a chance in my tank with my Four-Line Pictus cats. They would be supper in there.

They had 2 Clown Loaches that were at least a little bigger and about the size of my Serpae Tetra and would at least stand a chance in my tank. I am to a point I cant add really small fish in my tank.

I bought the 2 Clowns. I was comfortable with my purchase because they are to small yet to get the Apple Snail but large enough to feast on the baby pond snails in the tank.

I knew from this forum that the CL can get large so I took that thought into my head as well. They are slower growers at least! I already planned to get a larger tank in a few months.

I drooled over the 221GL tank they had at the LFS. It was beautiful. LOL I want 75-120-125gl range. They have a very good priced 75gl tank that I can get by summer. I orig. wanted it for my four-lines but now I have CL to worry about.

This is my idea on how to divide the fish into the two tanks. Want opinions.

75GL with

2 Clown Loaches
2 Four-Line pictus cats
1 common pleco

That is all I would stock in it. Since they are all larger fish I figure leaving it just that would be best. What does bother me is they are all bottom fish. The pleco I can alway return to the LFS when he gets to large to go to a better home. Right now he is like 2 inches.

55GL

2 spotted pictus
8 serpae tetra
8 white skirt tetra
3 glass tetra
3 bleeding heart tetra
apple snail

My sister wants me to take in her 2 spotted pictus and maybe her red tail shark. Hers are in a 10gl and very small. They need to get out of there. They have been in there over a year. My spotted pictus are small as well.

if you are not adverse to chemical treatments... algae treatments will work. As it ills the algae, the snails eat it and voila... snails gone.

Well I like snails so I rather not "murder" them lol and let nature do its thing letting a fish use them as a food source. Also I have an apple snail in there that I want to keep.

i would suggest something more around 125 and get some more clowns. They are schooling fish, and will really benefit from having a group of 3+. I had nine, and they were out all the time. I always saw them. By far my favorite fish. I will have a school again, but not until I get the right tank for them first.

Also, that way, maybe you can get a nice large school of tiger barbs or seomthing to fill out the rest of the tank...

Just a thought...

I wouldn't worry about the pictus eating clown loaches. The spines under their eyes are quite effective for defense. Any catfish that grabbed a clown loach would quickly release it.

Hey Courtnee, I definately agree with hsherman, get a bigger tank and more clowns!! I have my 5 in a 90 for now. They are also by far my favorites, such personality. They are not just on the bottom, but all over, especially at feeding times, they almost swim upside down to skim the surface. At night they all cram into a little castle from walmart. And I also agree, their spines protect them quite well. They are also very peaceful community fish!!
Good luck, Farmgirl.

Calling all Clown Loach people!! I am new to these fish and need some help! lol This post is long and full of questions but I am seeking education.

They have been in my tank since Friday and are doing GREAT! The have not become supperyet and I feel more comfortable with my choice to get the clowns instead of the YoYo Loaches. The YoYos would of been gone by now. They were not much bigger then a neon tetra. lol The Clowns are doing great swimming all over and digging in the gravel etc.

I must say they are really cute! I am enjoying them. They are out a lot and active.

Reading.... I may do the 75gl for now. I live in an apartment and the 75 is very affordable for me right now. I plan to get a house in a few years and can get the 125gl at that time. I would be happy to have a 55gl, 75gl and a 125gl so it will work out nice that way. Really now the clowns change my plans. I was thinking of a 125gl eventually just for my pleco and figured I would toss my fourline pictus cats in there. Now with the clowns it makes more sense to have a 75gl and a 125gl.

Opinions on this plan of action....

In a few months get the 75gl and move the 2 fourline pictus, pleco and clown loaches into the tank.

In about 2yrs when I get a house and get a 125+gl I will put the clowns and pleco in the new tank and leave the pictus in the 75gl as that is enough room for them. That will free up room on the bottom of the 125gl for just the clowns and pleco. Much better for them.

With this plan of action I am going to ask these questions.... I will repeat some background so those dont have to read from the start of this thread. Help me plan this out right. I want to be a good clown loach mom :)

1. How many adult clown loaches can live in a 125gl with a common pleco? So I have an idea of the final result I am shooting for.

2. I have 2 clown loaches now, they are small about 1 1/2 inches. They only had 2 of them. Do I get my complete school now so they are all together and move them together through this process? or should I stick with the 2 I have and get the rest in a few months when I get the 75gl

Information on the tank they are in for this question. They are in a stocked non planted 55gl tank, with gravel but I take great care in it. I have bubble curtains all along the back so there is plenty of air in the tank, 1 aquaclear filter for now.

1 common pleco (small)
2 fourline pictus cats - 5" each
2 spotted pictus cats - 2-3"
8 serpae tetra
8 white skirt tetra
3 glass tetra
3 bleeding heart tetra
1 apple snail

50% water changes every week, gravel vac once a week. My nitrIte and ammonia have never shown anything above 0, nitrAte sits at 20 and never have seen it go higher. My PH is 7 to 7.2 I suck at reading the test tube.

3. When I get the 75gl tank in a few months I will need to set it up to make everyone happy in there. I don't want a planted tank. I have read that clown loaches love water movement and sand. I want a sand bottom on a tank. I will repeat this in the 125gl

Filter x3 a good choice?
sand bottom? will have to see if the pictus will be okay with this? Plecos okay with sand?

4. Diet.
I feed my current family of fish in there brine shrimp flakes with bits of shrimp (its a big hit) algae waffers for the pleco and snail that the serpae tetra love to eat too, sinking pellets for the catfish that all fish in there seem to enjoy as well, frozen blood worms, regular flake food, peas (big hit) and other veggies and fruits.

There is a lot of tiny baby snails in the tank (why I got the clown loaches) that I have already seen the clowns go after YAY so the clowns are getting that food source.

Anything else I am missing for these guys?

SO long as you plan on going bigger in the future, you are in good shape. Lucky for you, clown loaches grow slowly. They will get to 6" quick, but slow down drastically after that. DEFINTLY get more ASAP, that way, they are all the same size, and will grow up together, and have their heirarchy already established. I know a guy that has 20+ clown loaches in a 150g, and everyone has plenty of space to move around. They are also the only fish in the tank. I would recommend 10-15 loaches for a 125g if they will be the only bottom dweller (other than the pleco of course)

The loaches will LOVE the sand, it is much easier on their barbles than gravel. You will always see them sifting through it looking for food/snails.

As for what to feed them, they will eat anything that sinks. THey love shrimp pellets, and any sinking wafer. I was feeding mine Hikari Sinking Wafers for Bottom Feeders, and it would always be a clicking fest in the tank at feeding time (they will click when they eat if they really like the food)

Don't have any hollow ornaments in the tank, they love tiny hiding places, and WILL get themselves stuck in the small holes.

I'll second them going and getting stuck in ornaments. I have 8 in a 125 gal. I also have a common pleco in that tank. As well as several adult malawi cichlids. I have pool filter sand. The loaches are between 4-5" right now. They are a riot to watch when there are a few of them. They play together all day long. As for feeding, I give them the same food as the cichlids, NLS cichlid pellets, veggies and fruits and algae wafers for the pleco. They love zucchini.

I don't have an XP3 so I can't comment on it. Others on this board have them and will offer their opinions. I run a fluval 404 and a fluval FX5 on my 125 gal.

I also have for bottom feeders, 3 cuckoo catfish and a striped raphael catfish.

I would get at least 3 more loaches for right now, 5 will still be quite fine in a75 gal with your plan for stocking.

yay. This is sooo cool.

I am going to find out when the next shipment comes in and wait a few days before I go get the other 3 Clown Loaches. See if they will hold 3 for me.

I am going to stop smoking in the next two weeks and my gift to myself? My 75gl tank for the first month of money savings. :) I am going to buy the tank, stand, hood and lights the first month (April) in May I will buy the filter which I am thinking XP3 and the pool sand and decorations and fishless cycle it.

I am so excited.

courtnee said:
I am going to stop smoking in the next two weeks and my gift to myself? My 75gl tank for the first month of money savings. :) I am going to buy the tank, stand, hood and lights the first month.

If you smoke enough to pay for that stuff in a month, you're going to feel a LOT better too!

I just got my new 75 gallon tank set up with 5 clown loaches and I love them. In about 2 years I'll be getting them a 6 foot long 125 gallon tank.

Definitely get more now, as you have serious plans to get them a 75 soon. Those two will be a lot more active with friends.

Oh yeah, the LFS owner told me that all 5 loaches would be able to grow up just fine in a 30 gallon tank their entire life. I hate their advice.

Well at $5.14 a pack in my state it doesn't take much. This started the 1st of this year. I work in a job where I step out for half a smoke and that is it before I am on the run again. I don't save what I dont smoke as it is NASTY (well smoking is too) and I waste a lot. People bum smokes off me a lot too.

I can get my tank, stand, lights etc for $350 that is not much at all when I pay $225mo to smoke a pack and a half a day. :) I am short what $75? I rather have a new big fishy tank! The second month I can buy the filter and sand no problems LOL

I am going to call the LFS wed and see if they got more CL in and when they got them in. I dont want to buy any to soon after the shipment and wait a few days (good advice I got on here!)

Buying yourself something is a great motivation to continue stopping smoking. One thing to keep a watch out for with loaches is ich. If at all possible Qt them for a couple of weeks.

yes, agreed. I lost my entire pack to ich (i had nine). QT all new fish for at least two weeks. Clown loaches are VERY sensitive to ich. Hardly any of my other fish were showing spots, and the ones that were, it was only a couple spots. My loaches were COVERED in spots, and they are sensitive to medications. You can only use heat to cure ich with clown loaches, and keep your fingers crossed that they survive.

A salt treatment works fine with clown loaches as well. I only raised my tank temp to 81 but added 2 teaspoons per gallon of salt. The ich was off the fish on day 5 and I removed the salted water after day 14.

Here are some useful articles:

http://www.loaches.com/articles/why-loaches-should-not-be-kept-with-malawi-cichlids

http://www.loaches.com/species-index/clown-loach-chromobotia-macracanthus

Adults will eventually require an aquarium measuring at least 6’ x 2’ x 2’

It is suggested that the aquarium be designed around their requirements specifically, rather than them being added to an unsuitable environment.

They must be kept in groups. The absolute minimum recommendation is 5, but basically the more the merrier.

ClownLoachPoster.JPG

Your 75G plan sounds like a good starting point for a group of five, but I would think about getting it sooner rather than later. Someone's already mentioned ich, and this is particularly a risk when moving them about from one tank to another and stressing them in the process.

IME I've also found them to be a fairly boisterous bottom-dwelling fish and I've had them subdue other loaches as a result (not aggressive, just over playful and attention seeking!).

They are very rewarding though!

I've noticed stores selling clowns that are very, very, very small these days - about the size you describe at 1" to 1.5". IMHO this is really far too small for the average hobbyist. They're a very sensitive fish, and even more so when they're so immature :( But still, they sell well so I suppose the stores are concerned mainly with the profit to be had.

Loaches.com will be your best friend as you keep your group of clowns: I strongly recommend it!

Thanks so much for the information and support. I feel ready to take on a harder to care for fish. Also my 75gl isnt far away and it will be a few years before they move again. That part I will be nervous about. My fourlines are my babies at the moment. LOL These clowns are growing on me! They are so fun in the tank and act like they are having a blast in there.

I am shocked how long they live, but that doesnt change things. When I buy a pet I am in for the long haul and the full dedication. Ive had vet care for my pet rat before when I was 17yrs old. My mom thought I was nuts but my rat was my pet. I would call a vet if things got that bad for my fish too!

I knew from this forum though that when I bought these clowns that they would get big and dedication. That was a bonus.

Thanks for that site I am going to start going there and educating myself on the new guys. We just have to name them yet :)

Welcome! You've definitely got the 'loach bug' then, which is always a good thing :D They're just amazing fish in general (second only to puffers IMHO :p hehe)

Sounds like you have the right attitude when it comes to keeping pets, so I'm sure they will have a happy home with you!

Best names I ever saw for clown loaches were Marge (who you will get to know from Loaches.com) and also Frank (who managed to get himself stuck in a pot once...)...I hope you are inspired! lol

Back
Top Bottom