Clown with mushroom host???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SGT Henry

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My percula clown which Ive had for about a week now is always rubbing up against my mushroom corals, does this affect the corals?? He never leaves the shrooms alone...will this cause the shrooms to be stressed or maybe close up??...

Anyways I moved the mushrooms to my 20g long which has better lighting than the 5g micro they were in and they are opening up alot more..they look huge now..The thing is that now the clown(who is still in the 5g alone) looks like its depressed..always staying up near the powerhead and he almost never comes down..and now I feel bad.. lol :D

what should I do?????????

I have heard of certain clowns hosting on many different types of corals when an anenome is not available. A shroom is basically a type of anenome, so this makes sense.

As for what to do, not sure. 5g seems a bit small even for a nano. Is moving the clown to the 20g and option? Then see what happens.

Well I guess I could move him over there....the only things I have in the 20g are: a small harlequin bass, snails, hermits, yellow polyps and the shrooms. Im planning on having the 20g later on with the harlequin and a royal gramma and I guess the clown too. Oh and more corals.

OK,

Have you thought about a slightly larger tank? The harlequin bass and royal gramma are both recommended to be housed in a least a 30g. Not that it cannot be done, just not recommended. I definately would not add anymore than what you describe.

Otherwise here is a link to some other option that might be more appropriate for your 20g:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?pCatId=2124

I would not suggest more than 2-3 fish from this list in a 20g.

BTW, I just noticed your ID, what service are you in?

lol...Im not, Im from Puerto Rico...SGT Henry's just my nickname...

Thats part of the reason that Im hesitating on letting my harlequin bass go..because I caught it myself over here...I guess ill think it over and see which fish would do fine in my 20g...

btw, do u have any experience with corals? if so, is there a limit on how many more corals I could put in the 20g...and which species would do fine under 2 coralife T5 strip lights...they are both 40w each(each strip has one actinic bulb and one 10000k bulb)..right now I only have the shrooms and the yellow polyps which are both doing great.

thanks again

How big is the harlequin? Like I said it is a recomendation and does not mean it cannot be done. If you keep the harlequin then I would skip the royal gramma and just add the clown. Maybe some type of goby down the road.

From what you are telling me you have about 80 total watts of light on your 20G? That should be enough for just about all the soft corals and LPS hard corals. I would stay away from the SPS Hard corals as they are usually for the more experienced. Take a look at "myinfo" just about everything I have would do well under your lighting.

As for how many you just need to leave some room between them so they cannot touch each other. Usually 3-6" depending on the coral. Be advised that some have sweeper tenacles that can reach out a few inches. Also, some like you mushrooms will spread on their own if they are doing well.

The shrooms and polyps you have should be doing well. I would also look at different varities of zoos and button ployps, Leather toadstool, candy cane, pulsing xenia and devils hand which are all easy care level.

Here is a link to give you some idea of what is out there.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/categ.cfm?pcatid=597

Again, just space them so they have some room to spread and grow. Again you may find one that tries to take over the tank and will need to be harvested. Some people use a 20g long as a propegation tank for coral frags. Start small as they will grow.

Before you add any more, what kind of equipment are you using (i.e. filtration, skimmer etc.)?

Good luck,

Back
Top Bottom