Clownfish questions. (overflow or anemone?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pugpops

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
alright, here's my dilemma... i have a 120 gallon reef tank thats about 3 months old, my pH, temp, kH, etc. is perfect and all- so nothing wrong with that. but i have 2 percula clownfish that are about an inch and a half big and they like to swim at the very top of the aquarium in the back- by the overflow. At some points, one of my clownfish is missing and is actually INSIDE the overflow! I fish him out with a net difficulty, but today he was in there twice! i dont know if he's scared of my new yellow tang, powder blue tang, or naso tang, but he appears in the overflow anyway. :hide: so, the question popped up in my head that should/if i get an anemone, would the clownfish spend all their time in that, and never try to go in the overflow again? i hope i tried to make the most sense in explaining this...

There's a good chance the clown wouldn't host.
Maybe a screen or someway that he can't get in there?

I had that problem with my two clowns when they were smaller. I have an anemone in mt tank and my clowns dont ever leave it. I have a carpet anemone. My clowns never venture out of their anemone. Not even to eat. They wait for the food to come to them

My clowns stay by the overflow as well lol I wonder why they do this? I also have a bubble nem and they dont seem to care.

hmm.. so many questions and opinions.... :p the easiest thing to do would probably put a screen on the overflow, wouldnt it? but i have 4 little holes on the overflow that i would need to patch up, and i dont know how the screen would stay there anyway :/ and if i get an amemone, is there a way to try and get the clownfish and anemone together so the clownfish would get used to hosting it? because i saw a way on youtube to put a colander in the water with the anemone and the clownfish in it, and it should make the clownfish host the anemone, but i dont know if it will work. i should research more :p

hmm.. so many questions and opinions.... :p the easiest thing to do would probably put a screen on the overflow, wouldnt it? but i have 4 little holes on the overflow that i would need to patch up, and i dont know how the screen would stay there anyway :/ and if i get an amemone, is there a way to try and get the clownfish and anemone together so the clownfish would get used to hosting it? because i saw a way on youtube to put a colander in the water with the anemone and the clownfish in it, and it should make the clownfish host the anemone, but i dont know if it will work. i should research more :p

I tried the colander thing with a breeder net box and it did work for me the first time it did not work with my captive bred one the one that did host died. You can put photos up on the glass so the fish can see anemones and if they start to rub on it you know they will be a host for the anemone, Saw it first hand with neighbors tank she had an anemone backdrop and the first was rubbing all over it and she got a nem the next dam and the nem hosted immediately. The captive bred ones are really hard to get to host the wild caught though usually will always host.

wow thats so amazing that they might rub against the picture on the glass! i will definitely try that method! let's hope for the best...!

Back
Top Bottom