Clowns destruction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jmolden

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently purchased a saltwater aquarium. The previous owner also provided existing live rock. Attached to one was a soft coral(according to him). My questions are can anyone id the plant/coral in picture. Also clown fish have recently destroyed this item back to live rock. Any ideas why?

Attachments

• image-2114144104.jpg
    image-2114144104.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 110
Need a better close up pic of the coral. I dont know what u mean by clows destroyed it back to lr please explain

Need a better close up pic of the coral. I dont know what u mean by clows destroyed it back to lr please explain

Clowns tore off branch by brach until gone. Pic is before. The branches are laying on sand in clowns cave.

I dont think clowns have the power to rip any soft coral apart. They are suppose to be safe reef. Even if the coral was a plant it should be safe around clowns. Im not sure on this one sorry. Best you can do is take a piece of the so called coral out to a lfs and have them confirm it

If you're talking the red stuff at the top, it looks like a couple of mushrooms at the base of some sort of red macro-algae.
But I'm just guessing about the algae... pretty sure of the mushrooms.

Again... that would be highly unusual behavior for a clownfish. Could it be that the current just has the parts collecting in that "cave" ... and had nothing to do with the clowns?

Its possible that current did it. Although current that was in direct contact w flows in opposite direction. Thanks for some input. I have been perplexed on this one.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom