Clowns fighting over torch coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2pac.biggie

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi I've got 2 percular clowns fishes in my 100litre tanks and 1 of them has hosted my torch Coral and the other is trying to host it aswel but every time my clown goes next to the torch, the hosted clown fights with it. They didn't fight before and now and then they swim together so what should do?

One of your Clowns is seeking dominance. Clownfish are protandrous hermaphrodites. Clownfish are hatched sexually immature or in other words sexless, neither male or female. This in the simplest of terms means that they change from sexless to male to female. For a clownfish to change sex two requirements must be met. First the fish must be physically mature (12-24 months old) and must have an environmental cue to transform. The cue to become a female is the lack of a female in the environment. The cue to become male is that a dominate female is present in the environment, but the environment is lacking a male. The cue to remain sexless is that the environment has an existing dominate female and male pair. You should watch for torn fins, if they get too bad then separate the pair for at least a week. Good luck!

I would try to get them to stop hosting. It stresses the coral alot and can result in the death of your torch actually.

Right, the torch coral isn't a good coral for hosting. Try a small clump of waving hand. Mine love it and the coral totally ignores them.

Attachments

• image-4134885550.jpg
    image-4134885550.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 90
Really!! I'm goin to buy a bubble tip anemone today. How do I get it so it can ignore the torch and go for the bubble tip instead?

Back
Top Bottom