Club soda for Marimo Moss ball?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trickshot3102

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi I read somewhere that you can put a Marimo moss ball in club soda (only for a few minutes) so it can get CO2. Is this true? Does a Marimo really CO2 to thrive? thanks!

Marimo moss balls are about the most low light, low tech plants you can get. No need to put them in club soda...

Yea, and if you were to do it, and it were safe, I think I would put it in something a bit better like coca cola, club soda is cheaper so it might be worse

While I'm sure it will grow faster with co2, I highly doubt it will make a noticeable difference immersing it in club soda occasionally.

Sounds like the beginning of a new mixed drink. Use instead of the olive. (Just joking).
The club soda is so high in carbonic acid, I would think it would set the Marino back or even kill it. Marinos are a type of algae so it doesn't need CO2 in the amount plants do. OS.

Sounds like the beginning of a new mixed drink. Use instead of the olive. (Just joking).
The club soda is so high in carbonic acid, I would think it would set the Marino back or even kill it. Marinos are a type of algae so it doesn't need CO2 in the amount plants do. OS.

It does sound like a new mixed drink! :lol: I didn't know that algae doesn't need CO2! Im glad I went here first and didn't try it lol!

What the heck. Room Temp club soda X5 min dunk today, into QT tank. No changes or damage yet, will update if any miracle happens or I see a religious figure appear in the moss :)

Around here, that s what a redneck says right before they go to the ER!

We could so turn this thread into a "you might be a redneck" thread lol.
On a side note, the mossball is no worse for wear, but the fish are all picking at it, something I've never seen them do before. Wonder what would happen if I dropped a martini in there.

Back
Top Bottom