co2 help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

o.jonathan.o

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I just made my DIY co2 and I'm wondering how long it takes to start working. Here are the pictures. And also what color is the mixture suppose to be

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110816_183709.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110816_183709.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 67
  • ForumRunner_20110816_183737.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110816_183737.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 74
  • ForumRunner_20110816_183808.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110816_183808.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 66
it looks like he's running into the power head. Pull it out, if there's bubbles, its working. If not, remix it.

I think that his filter, but yeah the only way to see if its working is to see if there bubbles coming out

Its running to my pump/filter intake and I mixed it at like 5 here so 2 hours ago

i dont think itll work if you run it through your filter intake, i think it has to be through the outtake on a canister filter.

Fishkeeper26 said:
i dont think itll work if you run it through your filter intake, i think it has to be through the outtake on a canister filter.

No it does work. The blade on the pump chops the bubbles up really tiny and automatically obsorbed into the water

ok, then you would have to check your filter for bubbles, or pull it out and see if there are bubbles coming out

So how long are the bubbles supposed to stay at the top of the water

What temp is your water mix in the bottle?

How much of each ingredient?

Typically, I see bubbles start in 2-3 hours. It takes a bi of time to generate enough gas/pressure to actually start bubbling.

The water temp in the mix is warm it will get about 90° in the day time and I used 2 cups sugar and 1/2 tsp of yeast

24 hours is a good bet. Some initial bubbling will happen, but it gets full powere in about 24 hours.. what's in the filter? Are you running carbon? Not sure if that would effect it or not..most people run it through the output, maybe for that reason, but iduno lol.

hippy guy said:
24 hours is a good bet. Some initial bubbling will happen, but it gets full powere in about 24 hours.. what's in the filter? Are you running carbon? Not sure if that would effect it or not..most people run it through the output, maybe for that reason, but iduno lol.

I have only ceramic rings for bacteria in the filter its in and it goes into the intake so the blades chop them into a fine mist

Well snap, your set. A second bottle with just water or oil would help, so that no unwanted stuff gets into tank (the co2 mixture) and you can see how much your producing :)
I've heard oil is good cause you can seal the bottle with superglue and it won't evaporate

hippy guy said:
Well snap, your set. A second bottle with just water or oil would help, so that no unwanted stuff gets into tank (the co2 mixture) and you can see how much your producing :)
I've heard oil is good cause you can seal the bottle with superglue and it won't evaporate

What does snap my set mean and what kinda oil

Snap! Your set! As in, your good to go, and your co2 should operate properly.
What's the amounts of ingredients..the 2 liter look a bit empty

hippy guy said:
Snap! Your set! As in, your good to go, and your co2 should operate properly.
What's the amounts of ingredients..the 2 liter look a bit empty

The mix contains 2 cups sugar, 1/2 tsp yeast, and I put the water a lil under the label and would cooking oil work (vegetable oil)

Back
Top Bottom