CO2 Regulators

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

black udder

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've been pondering making the jump to pressurized CO2 and am wondering which of these two is the better (I know they're cheap, but is there a drawback?)

The Milwaukee MA957 <$80
Includes flow regulator, needle valve, electronic solenoid & bubble counter. Unit comes with dual gauges each with dual reading of both psi & kg/cm. Left gauge meters tank capacity and right gauge meters flow. Needle valve flow control provides for precise measurement. The solenoid valve comes with a 1.5 meter power cord.

JBJ CO2 (I've only seen one) it's <$80
Solid Copper Construction
Dual Guage: Co2 content & meter
Bubble Counter (with built in check valve)
Needle Valve
German Solenoid (with light indicator)

I understand the Milwaukee can be used with the PH monitor to inject CO2 per the PH in the tank. Is this also possible with the JBJ?

Appreciate any feedback.

Are there any reasons to avoid either of them?

same is possible (pH meter) with the JBJ. I just received my JBJ kit
recently, seems to be well made, but cannot tell anymore since it's not
in use yet (still looking for co2 cylinder..., not easy to find around here)

good luck with your shopping!

I've got the Milwaukee and I'm very happy with it. I'm sure they're both well constructed units.

kaaipop, you should be able to rent a cylinder at any welding supply shop.

I've been doing a lot of reading here as I am on the verge of pressurized CO2 myself... so tell me if I am wrong... all I need then is:

- 5 or 10lb CO2 tank
- one of the above regulators w/bubble counter
- Do I need a diffusor? Can I then just hookup the above to that funky ladder diffusor, or should I go more complex?

I think the milwaukee is a better regulator.
Yep, you need a cylinder, a regulator, and some way of diffusing the CO2 into the water.

Depends on the tank size. Hagen ladders work well up to about 30gallons. After that you'd be better off buying or building a powered reactor, or if you have a canister filter, an in-line reactor.

the JBJ has a built in check valve, while the milwaukee doesn't.

The DIY reactor is the best, just use a python tube, a sponge and a rio powerhead.

btw malkore how does the in-line reactor work?

Okay, my JBJ system is now on line, and running. Working fine so far.
I did read somewhere on a forum (after I had ordered mine) that there
had been a number of complaints about JBJ, vs Milwaukee...
I guess you also have to be carefull when you first "start it up", not to
blow your regulator, and make sure there are no leaks.
Well mine is fine, and looks well made enough. knock on wood!

an in-line reactor plumbs into the return of your canister filter. You can make em cheap, but for a pre-fab one, search for an Aqua Medic 1000 reactor, just for an idea.

Yep, the JBJ has a built in check valve...big deal. Those are cheap to buy, and if you check your CO2 internal pressure weekly, you'll know when it runs out, and it's unlikely you'll have any problems without a check valve.

Dave, I have the Milwaukee and I am very pleased with it, purchased from aquariumplants.com. You already have a diffuser, right?

Yeah, I have the DIY diffuser. Just a matter of a regulator and the CO2 cannister. I need to see what the refill is on a 5lb and how long it will last. Need "all the figures" before I take the wife on again.

I think i'm leaning towards a purchase from aquariumplants too - both are about the same price and it's not a sale or anything.

Do you have the PH monitor? I wouldn't mind having something that'll give me an accurate PH since the liquids are so iffy.

I have a pH monitor and it is a nice thing to have, and I feel like it saves a little on CO2 since it will shut off the flow as needed, but is certainly not required.

I also have an electronic pH meter, and that is a nice thing to have too, but the monitor sitting in the water all of the time is certainly simpler. You do have to remember to calibrate the thing periodically.

I have a 5# cylinder set up for almost four months and even though my husband drew some CO2 off for his air gun ( :roll:) I have not seen the PSI gauge drop at all yet. I am watching it carefully, as I am sure I am due for a refill soon (that is cheap). Your use rate will depend on how much CO2 you need to drop the pH to the desired point, so that will be different for different tanks, depending on water params.

The initial cost is going to be the kicker, but after that it is not expensive at all to run. A pressurized setup is a good thing to put on your list at the next gift-giving occasion (instead of a new guitar :wink: ).

Hey, nothing wrong with a guitar! :p
I play the bass, maybe we could start "the AA Band" LOL
Any drummers out there? :D

Back
Top Bottom