CO2 system cost

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coyne

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 45 gallon medium to heavily planted tank. Im currently dosing with the liquid "CO2 Booster" daily, Flourish twice a week and I have several root tabs in place. My plants are currently surviving, but not what I would describe as thriving. Im assuming I'll need to start injecting CO2 into the tank to get to that level.
Id rather not do the DIY CO2 with the plastic bottles, but the legit set ups seem to cost around $200-250. Does that sound about right, or is there a cheaper way of going about it. None of the LFS near me sell the systems, so it seems an Online purchase is my only option unless the parts can be purchased (together or separately) somewhere that I havent looked... Home Depot or Menards maybe?
Also, how does one go about refilling the CO2 tank onces its empty? I cant imagine people just keep buying new $75-100 tanks over and over.

Hey Coyne!

Pressurized co2 is definitely the way to go. You can set up a nice system for under 200, I think. For my set up I have the UP Aqua Dual Guage regulator from amazon. (80$) You can get a 5lb co2 tank on amazon for 65$ shipped I think. If you have an airgas near you, or any place that refills co2 you can get a refill for about 13$. You'll need a bubble counter, diffuser, and co2 tubing which can be around 20$ combined. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

what is an "airgas"?

I do have a paintball place near me. I think some paintball guns still use CO2, maybe I can ask them.

Airgas is just a chain place. They sell propane refills, co2, and stuff like that. Paintball places should fill it. Not completely sure though. I have mine on a paintball can.

Attachments

• image-1254988568.jpg
    image-1254988568.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 62
  • image-211156477.jpg
    image-211156477.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 64
I am using a 20oz paintball canister as well. It was 35$ from Dick's Sporting Goods and they refill them for 5-10$ also. The regulator is the expensive part, I just ordered mine off amazon. It's the dual regulator with needle valve and solenoid made for paintball so I didn't have to get an adapter, and it was 89$. So I'd say mine will be a little less than 200 all together when I've gotten everything (still need a bubble counter).

Back
Top Bottom