CO2 System - regulator query

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marchmaxima

Aquarium Advice Addict
Looking into regulators. It's a muddy world!

http://www.milwaukeemeters.com.au/1regulator.htm

This looks pretty all-inclusive. Am I right in thinking that all I'd want aside from this is a check-valve and a reactor/diffuser?

Anyone used this model? It seems expensive, but if its top stuff with all the trimmings that would help me automate this system as much as possible, I'm interested.

That's the system that I have. I have two - the first one had no problems at all, and while I wouldn't call the second one problematic, I did have to call Milwaukee when I just couldn't get a steady bubble rate. They sent me out a new needle valve and the shop where I get my CO2 put it on the regulator for me.

A check valve (I use a brass one) and a diffuser/reactor is all you need. I use a simple limewood airstone as a passive diffuser in my 10 gallon tanks but with a larger tank, you'd want some sort of reactor.

You may want to look into CO2-resistant tubing also. I got some at the online store where I got the regulator. With my DIY CO2 setup, regular airline tubing was fine, but to make sure the airline could handle the increased pressure from the CO2 tank, I got some CO2-resistant tubing. Here's a link:

http://www.aquatic-store.com/index1.html

The actual page isn't linking. Go down the left margin, click on CO2 Equipment, CO2 Accessories, page 2. You'll see all the tubing and descriptions.

Exactly as said above. I've used this same system now for almost 2 years with no issues, got mine on Ebay for around $85 or so.

Check valve, tank, diffuser and tubing is all you need.

I also went on ebay and got a 3-way splitter manifold with needle valves and bubble counters, and run 3 tanks off of mine issue free.

More thoughts:

I saw several good regulator packages online. I chose Milwaukee because a lot of people on this site have them and I knew there would be a lot of help available.

For a reactor, there are some DIY threads or I know some members use the Aqua-Medic brand.

Hmmm...it says Aqua Medic of North America. You'll get the idea of a reactor from looking at this one. I made a type of reactor once by using a small water pump positioned above the limewood airstone, so that the bubbles leaving the airstone were pulled into the pump's intake area. The CO2 left the airstone, got pulled into the water pump, and then the water pump ejected thousands of tiny bubbles.

http://www.aqua-medic.com/reactor_500.shtml

For a reactor, there are some DIY threads or I know some members use the Aqua-Medic brand.

Yeah, I'd like to make a reactor with the bioballs, and have looked at the DIY (was it Sparky's thread?) but I just can't seem to get get any definitive clarification on a safe glue to use that I can buy down here. I asked the question on a local forum which started an argument between two of the members, but in the end I never got an answer.

If I can nut out which is a safe adhesive to use then I'll build one. If I can't, I'll probably buy one similatr to the one I was going to build.

But thanks for the advice on the reg! I will definitely also invest in the recommended tubing. If I'm going to spend $300 bucks on a 6.8kg Co2 bottle and $200-ish on a regulator, reactor, etc. I'll spend the extra $10 on the right tubing.

not that I am the habit of questionning you, but are you sure? I was under the impression it had to be glue specifically designed for water use. Furthermore there is one type used for regular water use and one that's used for water under pressure.

Let the experts chime in, I haven't done a lot of plumbing personally, but I'm pretty sure the regular purple primer and clear glue is fine.

Last edited:
REgular PVC glue is fine.

I use the regular pvc glue that you can buy at any home improvement store in town. I also chose to use a clear primer as well. Honestly the glue is likely just fine, but using the primer adds a level of security against leaks. There is no pressure to speak of in this type of system, just make sure you use glue for PVC and not CPVC. These are two slightly different types of glue.

I do like to let the reactor dry in a warm place (direct sunshine is great) until I can no longer smell glue. Again, another level of safety.

Hope this helps.

My FIL is a plumber. You just need to use a Primer and PVC glue that is rated drinking water safe (this is most of them) and you are good to go.

LOL - Sorry to confuse. I'm so used to seeing Father in Law typed as FIL on other boards I didn't think twice about it. So yes, FIL = Father in Law. He's the one that gave me tips and supplied me with some PVC cleaner and glue for my first set of Inline CO2 Reactors.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom