CO2 tank empty in less than a day?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HighDeft

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So i recently added a pressurized co2 system to my 55 gal planted tank. The first time filled the tank it lasted about a week and i just refilled it and was gone in a few hours.... I'm not sure whats happening to it but there must be something wrong. The tank is a 20oz paintball tank with an adapter from aquatek. The regulator is a dual gauge aquatek w/ solenoid. From the regulator there is an inline bubble counter outside of the tank and a aquatek diffuser close to the bottom of the tank.

When i first set it up the co2 came out the side of the regulator body through what appears to be a plug of some sort... I'm not really sure what it is or does but tightening it seemed to fix the leaking sound. Do you think this may be the reason it is leaking? The working pressure can't be adjusted on my regulator but it did drop after i tightened that screw... Has anyone had a problem like this or know what might be going on??

The screw i tightened :huh:
img_1873717_0_5f645fb1e2cda439041e657e48e522b0.jpg

The regulator
img_1873717_1_f12c5a1d383679c21cf3d0ed0ac8daf6.jpg

The adaptor
img_1873717_2_9539364fcd02afbee2b3fbb3214dd092.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll head to the store and refill the tank today so i can check for leaks with soapy water. I just read on a paintball forum that the paintball o-rings should have oil on them to seal properly and be replaced after every use. I'll try those things and let you know what happens.

So with the new o-ring on and oiled and everything tightened it doesn't seem to be leaking with the soap test or the bucket of water test so i think it may be working fine now.

The psi of the tank rose to almost 1500 psi while it was in the bucket of water and then fell again to around 900 when i took it back out, is that normal? The water was around room temperature.

Back
Top Bottom