Cold pack question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wildroseofky

Aquarium Advice Addict
I need to know what type of cold packs to use when shipping plants and snails.
Is it the gel packs you get to go in coolers?

Yes the small ones. BUT with the temps in the high 90's or above plants and possibly snails will still get very hot even when packed with ice packs and in Styrofoam boxes.

Thanks again Rivercats. I just received a box of plants that was insulated with styrofoam and a cold pack was used. It had thawed all the way out but the plants were in great shape. So, if I insulated the box and added one or two cold packs, do you think that would work? I would be interested in how you and others ship their plants and snails.

I don't ship snails but depending on the weather I ship differently. Hot then it's sytrofoam box with ice pack. Nice, just in their baggies with a slightly moist paper towel and air in bag so plants don't get squished. Cold, Styrofoam box with heat pack. Always in baggies as described above. Also it depends on the plants as to how they handle the heat and cold. Not all plants can handle high and low temps. I won't ship when it's really hot or cold as to me it's not worth the risk and having someone unhappy if the plants don't look very good. Everyone has their own method of shipping.

Usually the gel ones are better to use for shipping (unless it's really fast shipping like overnight) because they last longer. It's important to keep the package well insulated, and avoid direct contact between the cold pack and the plants. Like rivercats said, unless it's really hot out where they're going, a cold pack isn't really necessary.

Back
Top Bottom