Columbian catfish with a distended belly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flipz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey everyone,

It's been a really long time since I've posted on here. I have a sick fish that I need some advice on though.

She's a 4 year old columbian catfish / black fin shark / silver fin shark (lots of names. lol). She's about 7" long and is in a 55 gallon all by herself. She has had tank mates in the past when she was much younger but she's very aggressive and kills anything in her tank.

Anyways, she got fed on Friday night, and when I got up on Saturday she had a very distended belly. It looks like it always does after she eats, but it normally only lasts a couple of hours. I let it go on Saturday thinking maybe it would correct itself, or that possibly I had just overfed her a bit so it was lasting longer. When I got up on Sunday she still had the same stomach. She is swimming around just like normal. Absolutely no change in her activity or ability to swim upright. And her belly is also still her normal perfect white. On Sunday afternoon I fed her some peas (minus the skins). It appears that she did eat them. It's now Monday evening and she still has the same belly. She is still swimming around perfectly fine and acting normal, but the belly won't go away.

The tank is 78 degrees, brackish. It gets water changes every 1-3 weeks. The parameters all test out fine. I would assume bloat/intestinal blockage but like I said she doesn't have any equilibrium problems. Her diet is vast and she gets lots of different stuff.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Edit: As a side note, I'm well aware that this fish will continue to grow and will need to be in a larger tank. But like I said she has no tank mates and this tank suits her perfectly for now. :)

I respect you for raising this fish as she needs to be raised. A 55gl for her size alone I think is great and you keep it brackish which is what she needs. It appears to me you did your reading and know what the fish needs for care. I thank you for that. They are a beautiful fish!

I had one and knew nothing. It died and I didnt get another one when I learned their actual care needs. They are great in FW to start, must move to brackish and eventually marine. The stickers saying 6" are laughable! They get large and they have high needs.

I cant help you with what is wrong. I am still learning and dont know much about illness. I wanted to say great job on caring for her the right way!

Sometimes takes more than one dose of peas. If peas don't work, try some epsom salts. I'm not sure epsom salts will do much good in a brackish tank. Perhaps someone with a brackish tank would be able to chime in whether this would be a waste of time. I'd keep up with another dose of peas and do a water change as a precautionary measure.

I was going to try epsom. Her belly appears to have gone down a *little*. I'll try more pees and possibly an epsom batch.

Thanks for the responses!

Zagz said:
Good luck, keep us posted on how she is doing. She sounds like a beauty. Do you have any pics of her?

My avatar is one, but it's a good 2 years old or so. Unfortunately she spends basically all her time swimming in the currents which makes it hard to catch any good pics with my sub-standard camera. lol.

I just wanted to post back and let everyone know she's doing great! After a couple of meals of peas (about 8 peas in total) her belly is back to normal! :-D :-D

I'm normally not one to freak out too much, but after so many days of her belly looking like that I had to seek some advice. :lol:

I bet she is happy and feeling much better now :) Poor girl. Who would ever thought how a simple thing such as a pea could make a fish feel so good LOL

Back
Top Bottom