Comet Goldfish STAINED by Methylene Blue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Goldmen

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have 2 regular goldfiah and 2 comet goldfish. I treated them with methylene blue for the ICH disease. When i woke up the morning one of my Comet goldfish were stained with Methylene blue on his fins and the top of his gills. I quarantined the Comet in a smaller tank. I need some advice how to remove the STAINS it is very URGENT. I need help please I beg of someone to help me.

It all come off in due time you might of overdosed the tank a bit not going to hurt anything, also why methylene blue instead of salt+temp or rid inch plus, I know methylene blue is used for ich, did you treat with it on the chance it was fungal? Also a comet or even a common goldfish should not be in an aquarium they are pond fish as they can reach very huge sizes.

Rick thx for the reply! I used Rid-All ANTI-ICH, I used the necessary doses on the bottle. I threated the fish becauce some of them started show small white spots on there fins. I suspect the disease came from the one Comet that are now stained. The other goldfish isnt stained. The comet shows still a few white spots and I think he swimed againt the rock because of the ICH disease. The rocks are blue of the Methylene blue so maby he was irritated by the ICK parasite. After the 4day treatment the other goldfish is fine and shows no symptoms of the ICK disease. The comet is stained and doesnt look to well and his inactive just moving slowly. Any advise on what to do pls.

Here is a photo of the Comet Im busy setting up a bit larger tank for him

Attachments

• 20170711_082505.jpg
    20170711_082505.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 149
They flash and rub against things when they have ich to try to scrape /rub it off, but honestly a comet should be in a pond they need a lot of gallons or they will stunt and die, not to Mention they produce a Lot of waste, a comet /common can live in 10 gallons but not a 10 gallon tank if that makes sense, comets can reach over 24" so they need a wide open area to swim and a lot of water to dilute the waste they produce.

I understand that but if they get to large I will get them another home. I need a to get information on how to remove the Methylene blue from the fish so that he can survive. His unactive and I need to do something. Pls if someone have an idea or some help pls.

You can't remove it - suggests the fish has lost slime coat or scales (eg injury or parasite damage) with those parts now stained. However I've never seen it so only from reading. All I can think of is API Stress Coat or I'm sure Seachem make something synthetic for fish slime coats.

Edit - just saw photo. Would test on ammonia ASAP.

Last edited:
Agree 100% with Delapool, don't know if anything you can do but would try stress coat+ to repair the slime coat. Would think time may be only way to reduce coloration.

Of bigger concern to me is how did they get ich? Many times stress is the reason fish no longer fight off parasites, and I think this is what Potluck was getting at. Tank size should be a great concern.

What are the conditions if your tank? How long have you had them, any new additions? It sounds like you care and are doing all you can for them. We would like to help prevent future outbreaks.

Thx for the replies. I think I have got the probleme one of the decor was also stained with the methylene blue in the inside, and when U rubed a paper the colour easly came of. It is a smaal space and probaly the reason why the fish where stained.
I had the fish for like 2 weeks and I started a new tank a month ago. Im thinking of getting the fish in a temp. Bigger plastic containet and give them coat repair or something like that.
The Methylene blue also stained al the rocks and the silicon in the tank. Does someone have advise on how to clean the silicon and the rocks. Im going to restart the tank with everything cleaned. Next time Im going to make a seperate hospital tank.

Here is a pic of the decor

Attachments

• 20170716_123049(1).jpg
    20170716_123049(1).jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 66
  • 20170716_123240.jpg
    20170716_123240.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 65
Wow that is very stained, hmmm - could be worth researching if anything binds with the dye (a little of it goes a very long way unfortunately).

Back
Top Bottom