Community Tank Ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

darkmule27

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've officially been bitten by the aquarium bug...so I'm looking for some input and ideas for my next tank!

It will be 10 gallons. I can't have any bigger since I am living on campus at my college. However, I need to be able to move them 2.5 hours about 4 times a year, so no live plants.

So far, I have too many ideas (I am looking for more though, haha)...the only sure inhabitants are 2 otos as our BN at home wouldn't be too happy with anyone moving in on his algae, haha. Oh, and there's an amazing fish store close to campus, so feel free to suggest ANY fish!

Any ideas for a 10 gallon community/species tank? TIA!

You can have live plants!! Java moss, java fern, anubia and some type of floater none of them have to be rooted in the substrate just take them out put them in a bucket with a damp towel and cover in plastic and they should make the trip fine. With that many algae eaters in a tank that size you will have to give them something else to eat and not only that you are at full bioload with them IMO.

It's just the 2 otos that would be in the tank at school...sorry if that wasn't clear. But thanks for the plant ideas! I never thought about transporting them like that.

If you are looking for color in a 10 gallon put your betta in or maybe get some pretty male guppies and put in there. If you don't want a ton of fry don't get any females. Spanish dancer guppies or maybe some moscows would be very nice in the tank but don't put a betta in with them because they can shred the guppies, some are alright but others are down right mean. If you are looking for a good list of fish for a 10 gallon Nanofish List (v1.0)

that stinks about only being allowed a ten gallon. I plan on moving a 45+gal into my dorm sometime in the next month (currently have 10 gal). I would get a school of a smaller breed of fish (white clouds, danios, guppies, etc.) and some shrimp

What about a betta sorority tank.

[Just think about all the jokes you can have talking about the soroity girls in your room.]

A 10 gallon tank is considered large enough for 4 to 6 female bettas. That can make for a very colorful lot (you know, get a red one, a blue one, a green one, a yellow one, etc).

Check out this post over at Ultimatebettas:
Your basic sorority tank - UltimateBettas

Fill the tank wiht Neon tetra. Best fish in the world :D in my opinion of course colorfull and mine are ALWAYS swimming around like they are on a mission... I have been looking at shrimp to help with cleanup... they may be interesting in an all neon tank :D

I've had bettas for years and, as much as I love 'em, I'd like to move away from them. I've been thinking about neons...we have 11 at home and they're just so much fun! Sadly, inverts are apparently a no-no here...got some REALLY nasty water, probably some copper lurking it.

Thanks for that link joy13! I've been looking for something like that for ages...apparently your googlefu is stronger than mine :)

I've had bettas for years and, as much as I love 'em, I'd like to move away from them. I've been thinking about neons...we have 11 at home and they're just so much fun! Sadly, inverts are apparently a no-no here...got some REALLY nasty water, probably some copper lurking it.

Thanks for that link joy13! I've been looking for something like that for ages...apparently your googlefu is stronger than mine :)

:D Glad to help. So many forums so little time!!

i have 12 neon tetras and 1 albino bristlenose pleco in my 10 gallon tank
they are all doing fine so far
i have been doing 25% PWC 2-3 times a week and it has been 3 weeks for the tetras and 1 week for the pleco
i was gonna get the master test kit to test my water but they were too expensive...guess ill just have to keep on doing this PWC for about 2-3 months until i feel safe enough

Back
Top Bottom