Compatibility - Community tank & dwarf Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sturgcl1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All,

Firstly just wanted to say I have asked for a lot of help on here over the past few weeks and everyone has been so kind & really helped me out.

So I have a nice 360l heavily planted comunity tank going, So far I have 8 assorted Corys (possibly more as there were many fry but not sure if they got eaten), 2 bristlenose plecs, some RCS (not sure how many are left!), 4 assassin snails, hundreds of unwanted snails, 1 yoyo loach (awaiting friends as LFS is all out), 1 pair of dwarf gouramis, 1 pair of dalmation mollys, 10 Neon tetras & 10 glowlight tetras. Sounded like loads when I bought the fish but the tank still looks empty, its a big 4ft bowfront (rena panaramic).

So I wanted to add some guppys, as kept these as a child and loved them, and I need a couple more yoyo's but I was really after a pair or two of dwarf cichlids. I designed the whole tank around the idea of having cichlids, read a lot on the internet, asked my LFS and now im really stuck.

The problem I have is that I have noticed a little harrasment from a few of the fish I have at the moment which are supposed to be very peaceful and im extreemly anxious about introducing anything which is going to harm my other fish. The yoyo I have has shown a little aggression towards the corys, chasing them up and down the tank but seems to have calmed down a bit now. I also lost my 1st fish 1 week after introducing it, it was a female dalmation molly, 1 minute it was swiming about with her mate, the next it was belly up and covered in fur. Couldnt see anything obvious, didnt look eaten or damaged so not sure what killed her. I introduced a new female dalmation molly into the tank 2 days ago, along with the tetras & gouramis & now the male molly is chasing the gouramis round and round. I heard gouramis were quite delicate fish so am now really worried he is going to scare them to death.

Im sure im worrying for no reason. Anyway my real question is, what would you say the best dwarf cichlid would be and how many would you introduce? I am really looking for a fun & colourful tank so open to any other suggestions on tank mates.

Also any idea why the molly may be acting strange? his new female looks very very fat so could be pregnant but not by him, she was like that when I got her.

Also I noticed this morning that one of my bristlenose plecs looked far lighter in colour than he was, is this a problem of do they change colour?

Finally whilst im picking your brains... the weather here (in england) has got reasonably warm and im struggling to keep the tank temp consistant, the heater is set to 24oc but its reading anything upto 28, despite turning the lights off and opening the lid & the window in the room, which helps a little. Are these fluctuations going to be a problem?

Many tahnks all

Claire

If the fish are just introduced its normal for already established fish to chase them around at first. Try moving your decor around to alter their territories.
And as for the change in color when I don't use the light in my tank for an extended amount of time my gambusia turn paler in color. This is probly why yours did it bc you said you were keeping the light off.

The yoyo I have has shown a little aggression towards the corys, chasing them up and down the tank but seems to have calmed down a bit now.
This isn't completely abnormal for yo yos. It may settle down once it has it's buddies, or there is a chance it's just not going to be a great candidate for keeping with smaller fish.
I introduced a new female dalmation molly into the tank 2 days ago, along with the tetras & gouramis & now the male molly is chasing the gouramis round and round. I heard gouramis were quite delicate fish so am now really worried he is going to scare them to death.
They are quite delicate. I had to move my gourami from his original tank due to constant fin nipping from a male molly. I've had to remove bettas from tanks with male mollies as well. It seems they aren't great candites for mixing with this type of fish.
Anyway my real question is, what would you say the best dwarf cichlid would be and how many would you introduce? I am really looking for a fun & colourful tank so open to any other suggestions on tank mates.
You could do apistos or rams. GBR's are very popular (german blue rams) but are very sensitive. You could also do a gold ram or bolivian ram. They aren't quite as impressively colored, but still beautiful. You could do a pair if you'd like, this is a popular choice. I've chosen to avoid it so I don't have to deal with any agression issues when the rams are protecting their eggs. I'd say you easily have room to do a pair if you'd like, or maybe instead a trio of females.
Also any idea why the molly may be acting strange? his new female looks very very fat so could be pregnant but not by him, she was like that when I got her.
How exactly is the molly acting strange?
Also I noticed this morning that one of my bristlenose plecs looked far lighter in colour than he was, is this a problem of do they change colour?
Could be normal. What are your water parameters?
Finally whilst im picking your brains... the weather here (in england) has got reasonably warm and im struggling to keep the tank temp consistant, the heater is set to 24oc but its reading anything upto 28, despite turning the lights off and opening the lid & the window in the room, which helps a little. Are these fluctuations going to be a problem?
Heat fluctuations can be a problem and cause illness. You can use a chiller, but I have no experience with these and can't give any advice on that.

Back
Top Bottom