Compatibility question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ccross

Aquarium Advice FINatic
A friend of my wife's heard that we were getting into tropical fish and gave us her cycled 10G tank. All that was in it was 2 Albino Cory's. I went to Walmart tonight and got 3 Fruit Tetra's and 2 Dalmatian Molly's. I read all the info tags and bot said that these 2 fish are fully compatible. The tags also said these fish were good in small numbers with out being in schools. Now that I have them home, I looked up the fruit tetra's and, not only did I find out they were dyed, I also read that they are school fish (need at least 5) and that they will fin nip the Molly's. Am I going to have an issue with these choices?

I'm no stocking expert at all, I just go by research. But according to this site, which is pretty reputable, (and this one) Dalmation Molly's can get to 4.5" and should be in a 30 gal tank. They also may do better in brackish (slightly salted) water, but they may be OK in purely fresh, not sure. I don't know about their compatability but I think you have problems just with the Mollys in a 10 gal. Perhaps take them back, keep the fruit tetras and fill out their school ?

I'm no stocking expert at all, I just go by research. But according to this site, which is pretty reputable, (and this one) Dalmation Molly's can get to 4.5" and should be in a 30 gal tank. They also may do better in brackish (slightly salted) water, but they may be OK in purely fresh, not sure. I don't know about their compatability but I think you have problems just with the Mollys in a 10 gal. Perhaps take them back, keep the fruit tetras and fill out their school ?

According to the tag, they don't get over 2in. Now I am reading 4 1/2 inches on the net. Can these stores get anything right?

Now that I looked them up on the net, the look more like sailfin molly's. I'f I take pics can someone identify them?

Back
Top Bottom