Concerned about my baby platies breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Runsoncoffee

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi,
I’ve been growing a batch of baby platies, and I’m having to wait until they aren’t bite size to put them into the big tank.
For reference the big tank is a 75 with South American cichlids and (non-bite sized) community fish.
3 of these babies are males, they’re not even an inch in length yet. How concerned should I be about them breeding with each other?
I’ve not seen any male behavior, it’s just their anal fins have developed

If you have male and female platies they will breed. Those babies will breed. And those babies will breed also. Etc.

They can generally start breeding from about 4 months old.

You probably wont have a problem with population control when they go in with the bigger fish as fry are likely to become snacks.

If you have male and female platies they will breed. Those babies will breed. And those babies will breed also. Etc.

They can generally start breeding from about 4 months old.

You probably wont have a problem with population control when they go in with the bigger fish as fry are likely to become snacks.

I let the guys in the big tank do whatever. NEVER see babies in that one. But the babies I do have are from a breeding project with a black high fin male, who is unfortunately now gone (old age), so I don’t want to put these guys in the big tank yet because they’re still bite sized

Back
Top Bottom