Conch Shell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chenzo9999

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I got a Fighting Conch - great looking guy. When I bought him and put him in his shell was super smooth and shiny - after acclimating I saw the shell get really bumpy.

When it is sitting still it is smooth - when out and about moving and eating (Nori Strips) he is all bumpy again.

Has anyone seen this? Is this normal?

Also if anyone could explain how this happens - I am super interested in the mechanisms.

Attachments

• Conch.jpg
    Conch.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 140
I had a fighting conch and it never looked like yours-smooth outer shell always.

That why there shells have white spots on them when they cover the outside shell. See them diving and when you pick them up they close up and then reopen pretty cool but produce lots of slime.

Definitely a cowrie. I am calling the store today and complaining because they could have eaten my anemones.

Anyone in the NYC area want it? Super cool, just not for a reef tank. Right now he is chilling in the sump (actually cleaning it nicely).

I will get a smooth picture - but in the meantime you can look them on live aquaria and they have them pictured smooth.

Back
Top Bottom