Cone shaped thing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Feron

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well, at first I thought it was a snail... but it hasn't moved.. It just appeared after maybe a week or so on a chunk of rock (maybe it was just smaller before and I didn't notice it..)
I saw one of my turbos move over it, and noticed it was squishy..fleshy I suppose (am against touching things that I don't know what they are)
But the snail seemed fine..

anyhow, pics:

Attachments

• thingy1_103.jpg
    thingy1_103.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 29
  • thingy2_785.jpg
    thingy2_785.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 40
It's a limpet.
They are algae grazers but may also munch on soft corals. I've had them in my tank for years without a problem but it warrents watching.

odd that it showed up at the opportune moment I guess...after dinner out, is gone... good call, will keep an eye out.. but honestly, there's enough for a few of em to graze on without too much problem.

Thanks for the ident Fluff!!

those look like keyhole limpets. i have them too. fluff was the one who told me what they were called. go to google, and look up images for keyhole limpet. there are many pictures that should help you out to determine if that's what they are. i think they're pretty neat. they were the first thing that i noticed "growing" in my tank.

I like them and they have never really been a problem for me (though I know of others who have had issues). They grow to about an inch long and I've had them successfully reproduce in my system. I only ever see one or two babies at a time though so either they aren't very prolific or someone is controlling their numbers for me. :)

Back
Top Bottom