confused on flow rate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

c-bass

Aquarium Advice Activist
what is the minimum recommended flow rate for a sump? If the skimmer is located in the sump and there is not enough flow thru the sump, I imagine that there would be a build up of DOC's...right? I've read that you want 10x the tank size for turn over, but isn't that just PH flow rate for the actual water circulation of the display tank... or are the two intermixed (PH & sump flow).

the general ROT of 10xtank volume is general water movement. That would include both PH movement and any other water movement (from sumps, filter, skimmers etc)

as far as the amount of flow through the sump, I can't say as though I've heard much, just enough to make the heater/skimmer efficient. I'd say 5-6 times tank size would be alright (since thats what i'm shooting for in mine :) )

Depending on what your doing in the sump...

If your using a trickle filter for filtration you want 8-10 times the tank volume to flow through the sump per hour.

If your using LR and LS in the tank for biological filtration you want that much circulation in the main tank (or more), and you skimmer and other equipment in the sump are going to need around 5 X tank volume per hour, up to as much as you want.

Ok... that clarifies it for me. Thanks guys. I am gonna be running my skimmer and a heater in the sump thats it....no other plans as of yet for it. (no bio balls... will have ls and lr for filtration)

Back
Top Bottom