Confused!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishieKeeper429

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I know this was stupid and I didn't know to not but I bought two silver lyre tailed mollies and put them in a 10g tank with three tetras. My male died a few weeks ago and just now my female died. I was confused at why she did so I checked my levels. My ammonia was at 0ppm and my nitrite was at 0ppm. I'm really confused. Was it because of lack of space? Or loneliness? Or what!? I need an expert to tell me because I don't trust my LFS anymore after telling me that that many big fish could fit in a 10g. Any and all advice is needed! I'm a total noob and don't want to kill anymore fish.

There are tons of possible reasons that a fish could die. Bacterial infection, bad genes, previous injuries, or a half dozen other things. Lack of space issues usually get to be when the fish are larger, and loneliness I doubt it. My vote is on a lingering internal bacterial infection. I am dealing with the same thing in my guppies at the moment and am having a hell of a time with it.

I've gone through the same thing with, oddly enough, Silver Lyretail Mollys. I had purchased three, two together and one separately, and none of them lasted more than a month. Water parameters fine and no issues with other fish. I had purchased them all from the same Petco and chalked it up to an issue originating from there.

I've gone through the same thing with, oddly enough, Silver Lyretail Mollys. I had purchased three, two together and one separately, and none of them lasted more than a month. Water parameters fine and no issues with other fish. I had purchased them all from the same Petco and chalked it up to an issue originating from there.

Thanks so much guys :) still kind of sad because of it. Kind of a relief it's not my fault. Should I stop buying from this store????

Thanks so much guys :) still kind of sad because of it. Kind of a relief it's not my fault. Should I stop buying from this store????

It depends. I definitely wouldn't by those kinds of fish fromt that store again. But other kinds might be okay. Just check the tank for sick or dead fish. If you see sick or dead fish in a tank, don't by any fish in that tank.

What is the KH (carbonate hardness) of your water. Mollies do best in hard water, with some salt. They actually do their best in brackish water.

Back
Top Bottom