Confused

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CherB

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm getting really confused, Having trouble getting my ammonia levels down on a 60 gallon 2 month tank. Some people say, 25% water change others 50%. Some say don't vacuum that's were all the good stuff is growing, others say do vacuum to get all the gunk out.:huh:
I know this fish keeping is some trial an error, but what should I do?????

I'm getting really confused, Having trouble getting my ammonia levels down on a 60 gallon 2 month tank. Some people say, 25% water change others 50%. Some say don't vacuum that's were all the good stuff is growing, others say do vacuum to get all the gunk out.:huh:

I know this fish keeping is some trial an error, but what should I do?????

Vacuum and vacuum some more 50% or more until ammonia goes down to zero or close. And get every single piece of gunk out for sure. If you can see it, it's not the good stuff. That's where all that ammonia is coming from more than likely. What fish do you have in the 60 and how many? What are the other water readings (Nitrite, Nitrate, PH)?

are there any fish in there? if so how many what kind. is there a filter? if so what kind?
I do fifty percent water changes every week. I don't think you can't really over water change as long as there is a good stable source/place for bacteria. I would gravel vaccum if you are worried.

Are you using bacteria booster? I recommend stability. it even has directions for adding fish without cycling your tank first.

I agree with Bubba and GuppyGuy. Vacuum your tank at least once weekly, and do 50% water changes every other day until your water parameters level out. Some bacteria will colonize in your substrate, some will colonize on your decor, and much of it will colonize in your filter media. Eventually, you can lighten up on the vacuuming, but for now, as Bubba said, it's important to remove as much detritus as possible. As it decomposes, it creates ammonia.

Back
Top Bottom