Confusing ammonia levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr502go

Aquarium Advice Activist
I did a test on an aquarium I'm currently cycling (new aquarium) I have two Aquarium Pharmeceuticals test kits.

My ammonia test kit has two sets of drops you put in, that kid is reading 0ppm after the required 5minute wait.

The ammonia test in my master test kit, which has one solution for testing shows .5-1.0 ppm, this one gives an instant read.

The only thing I have done is disinfect the aquarium, added biosafe, let filter run (no bio-wheel right now), a little earlier today (a few hours ago) I put in some food, a couple of tetra-min sinking tabs, and some goldfish flakes, to start to decay and generate ammonia.

I am trying to generate ammonia such that I can add my bio-spira, and build a stronger culture before adding fish (I expect to add later this week, but don't want bacteria to die off due to lack of food for them)

So which test is right??

with the bio-spira, you actually want to add it with a full bio-load of fish...like...add it at the same time you add ALL of your fish...that way it'll have an immediate food source.

If you don't, they lil guys probably won't last...and you'll have to cycle again once you add the fish.

Which Way to Go

I think you have two fundamental choices. Either you cycle our tank without fish or with fish. In the case of the later, put fish in within 24 hours of adding the bio-spira. If you're opting for the no-fish route, then let nature take its course. The primary difference between the two is the length of time involved to completely cycle your tank. The Bio-Spira/fish method is considerably shorter.

also, if you're going to cycle without fish (forgo the bio-spira) you'll probably want to get some pure ammonia...makes it quite a bit easier.

But if I remember correctly, you already have the biospira? If so, it's time to go fish shopping :D ! (provided you know what you want!)

Thanks for the help peeps, I really appreciate it. I'm tryin to get my plan together now. Hopefully I'll have it all together so I can put some fish in this wknd sometime.

Back
Top Bottom